Zoom In On Your Desktop
TMO Quick Tip - Zoom In On Your Desktop
by , 7:30 AM EDT, June 26th, 2006
When I'm teaching a class or presenting at an event, I often zoom in on part of my Mac's display to make it easier for everyone to see menu options and buttons in application palettes. The effect usually draws a few "oohs" and "ahs" along with questions about how I did that. The feature is built in to Mac OS X, and only takes a few steps to activate. Here's how:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences to launch the System Preferences application.
- Select Universal Access.
- Click the Seeing tab.
- Click the Zoom: On radio button.
Use the Universal Access Preference Pane to turn on the Zoom feature.
To enlarge part of your display, type Command-Option-=. Your Mac zooms in on the area around your mouse pointer. When you move your mouse, the zoomed area follows. Command-Option-- (Command-Option-Minus) shrinks your display back down to normal size.
My display, normal size (left), and zoomed (right).
Even though I use the Zoom feature in Mac OS X during presentations, I also find it handy when I get emails with super-small text. Instead of changing the text size, I just zoom in a little.
if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.
- Fri, 1:41 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-21: iPhone 7 Fire, Microsoft Surface on the Rise
- Fri, 11:22 AM
- iPhone 7 Blamed for Car Fire
- Fri, 9:00 AM
- HYFY Pro 1-Year Plan: $25
- Fri, 8:00 AM
- King of the Hill Intro in Pixel Art
- Thu, 8:19 PM
- Eddy Cue Dampens Expectations for Original Apple TV Programming
- Thu, 7:33 PM
- Mad Max Available on Mac App Store and Steam
- Thu, 6:25 PM
- Satechi Slim Rechargeable Aluminum Bluetooth Keypads
- Thu, 4:44 PM
- Apple Will Likely Let the 2013 Mac Pro Quietly Die
- Thu, 1:58 PM
- MacBook Pro's Function Touch Strip Called Magic Toolbar
- Thu, 1:05 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-20: Apple's 'hello again' Media Event Predictions
- Thu, 9:39 AM
- watchOS 3: How to Use Emergency SOS
- Thu, 9:00 AM
- The Mac Power Organizer Bundle