Spotlight's Kind Keywords
TMO Quick Tip - Spotlight's Kind Keywords
by , 7:30 AM EDT, October 9th, 2006
Tiger's Spotlight is capable of finding a wide range of files on your Mac, but if all you really want is to perform a quick search for a specific type of item, like a contact or a folder, the long list of items Spotlight shows you is just plain overkill. Spotlight has the ability to limit the scope of item types it looks for - as long as you remember to include the appropriate kind keyword.
A kind keyword is a special term you add to the end of the text you enter in a Spotlight search. The keyword you use limits Spotlight's search to a specific file type. For example, if you want to look up a business contact named Anna, but you can't remember her last name, you can enter "Anna kind:contact" in Spotlight's search field. Your search result will list every Address Book contact with "Anna" in their name.
Spotlight kind keywords filter out items you aren't interested in.
Spotlight includes kind keywords for several different item types like applications, contacts, email, iCal, and more. Here's a full list of keywords:
|iCal To Dos||kind:todo
Spotlight kind keywords are handy when you need to perform a quick search for a certain type of information. If you need a more refined search, however, it's time to move on to Smart Folders. Not familiar with Smart Folders? Check out this Quick Tip.
if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.
- Mon, 5:21 AM
- Happy 4th of July
- Sat, 2:03 PM
- Kuo Doubtful About Report of Apple Cutting iPhone 14 Order
- Fri, 5:13 PM
- TikTok Claims Strong Data Security, Still Planning to Improve It Further
- Fri, 4:35 PM
- Apple to Cut iPhone 14 Orders By 10% Despite High Demand, Sources Indicate
- Fri, 4:12 PM
- Celebrating the Anniversary of the iPhone: Looking at the Time Apple was Exclusive to AT&T
- Fri, 3:16 PM
- Steve Jobs to Posthumously Receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Fri, 2:43 PM
- Former Apple Securities Lawyer Pleads Guilty to Six Counts of Insider Trading
- Fri, 2:27 PM
- Apple Has Interviewees Think Outside of the Box, Other Tips for Landing a Job with the Company
- Fri, 2:21 PM
- Apple Suppliers Are Already Working on Second-Generation OLED iPad
- Fri, 2:11 PM
- Apple Promotes the Apple Watch Series 7 as A Durable Device in the New 'Hard Knocks' Video Ad
- Fri, 1:34 PM
- My Penultimate Column
- Thu, 4:12 PM
- Apple TV+ Unveils Trailer for New Family Comedy 'Best Foot Forward' Premiering in July