Consolidating iTunes Libraries
TMO Quick Tip - Consolidating iTunes Libraries
by , 7:30 AM EDT, October 27th, 2006
Not everyone has the luxury of nearly limitless storage space for their iTunes library, and even if you do, it's kind of tough to cart around terabytes of storage when your primary computer is a laptop. Thanks to iTunes 7's Consolidate Library feature, you can add music and videos to iTunes even when your music library hard drive isn't available.
Let's say, for example, you use a MacBook Pro, and your iTunes library lives on a large external hard drive that stays behind when you travel. While you are out and about, you add a new CD you just bought to your iTunes library. Now you have two libraries: One on the hard drive that stays on your desk, and another on your MacBook Pro's built-in hard drive.
When you get back to your desk, here's what to do:
- Reconnect your iTunes library hard drive to your Mac.
- Launch iTunes 7.
- Choose Advanced > Consolidate Library.
Putting your iTunes libraries back together.
iTunes 7 will move the library from your MacBook Pro and add it to the library on your external hard drive.
if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.
- Thu, 1:58 PM
- MacBook Pro's Function Touch Strip Called Magic Toolbar
- Thu, 1:05 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-20: Apple's 'hello again' Media Event Predictions
- Thu, 9:39 AM
- watchOS 3: How to Use Emergency SOS
- Thu, 9:00 AM
- The Mac Power Organizer Bundle
- Wed, 8:04 PM
- E Ink Keyboard MacBook Pros Aren't a Sure Thing
- Wed, 6:28 PM
- IK Multimedia Announces MODO Bass Modeling Software for Mac
- Wed, 6:15 PM
- Performance Tests: Every iPhone Ever Made
- Wed, 5:28 PM
- Apple 'hello again' Media Invites Suggest Reintroduction of Mac Product Line
- Wed, 4:57 PM
- ACM 381: Tim Cook as Veep and iTunes Star Ratings
- Wed, 2:00 PM
- Focusrite Allows Users to Control Their Audio Interface from iOS App
- Wed, 1:59 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-19: iPhone 7 Mystery Chip, Amazon Echo and Echo Dot
- Wed, 9:23 AM
- macOS Sierra: How to Use Photos Memories