Improving iChat Connection Reliability
TMO Quick Tip - Improving iChat Connection Reliability
by , 7:30 AM EST, February 14th, 2007
If iChat is giving you connection headaches, the problem may not be in iChat - it could be the server port iChat is using. In many cases, simply changing the port fixes all kinds of issues, and it's easy to do. Here's how:
- Launch iChat. It's in your Applications folder, and probably also in your Dock.
- Make sure your iChat status is set to Offline.
- Choose iChat > Preferences.
- Select Accounts.
- Click the Server Settings tab.
- The default port is 5190. Change that to 443.
- Close the Preferences window.
iChat's default server port is 5190.
Port 443 tends to be more reliable.
Many people report that they have much better luck initiating an iChat connection, experience fewer random dropouts, and are able to start video chats far more reliably after changing to port 443.
[Thanks to Seth at Small Dog Electronics for reminding me about the alternate iChat server port.]
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Thu, 9:39 AM
- Super Mario Run Demo in Apple's Stores Today
- Thu, 9:00 AM
- SKEYE Nano 2 First-Person View (FPV) Drone: $99
- Thu, 6:10 AM
- Oral History of 'Get a Mac' with Justin Long, John Hodgman, and Creative Team
- Wed, 9:49 PM
- Living with Apple's Touch Bar, the Reverse Toaster Fridge - ACM 388
- Wed, 6:42 PM
- World's Largest Rube Goldberg Machine Lights Christmas Tree
- Wed, 5:58 PM
- GoPower Plus Battery Space Gray Has Built-in Charging Cable
- Wed, 5:52 PM
- Why Some High-Profile Hires Don’t Thrive at Apple
- Wed, 4:36 PM
- Nomad Leather MFi-Certified Charging Wallet: $49.95
- Wed, 4:29 PM
- Setapp Brings Netflix-style Downloads to Mac Apps
- Wed, 2:16 PM
- MacBook Pro USB-C Donglegate - TMO Daily Observations 2016-12-07
- Wed, 12:39 PM
- Great Gifts for Groovy Geeks: 2016 Edition
- Wed, 11:56 AM
- Apple Music tops 20 Million Users