Mail: Drag-and-drop Attachments
TMO Quick Tip - Mail: Drag-and-drop Attachments
by , 7:30 AM EDT, May 16th, 2007
Including attachments in emails is pretty standard fare, and most people are already aware that you can add an attachment to a message in Apple's Mail application by dragging files into a new message window. What comes as news to some is that you don't have to make a new message first.
Drag a file on the Mail icon...
You can save a step by simply dragging the file you want send onto the Mail icon. Mail will automatically create a new message for you with the file attached, ready to be addressed and sent on its way.
...to make an email message with attachment.
I use this trick all the time. The Mail icon lives in my Dock, so I always have quick access to it - and if Mail isn't running, it will automatically launch when I drag a file on its icon.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Sun, 12:06 PM
- MGG 624: Sierra, APFS, Wi-Fi and Personal Servers
- Sat, 9:04 PM
- Can't Remotely Control Your HomeKit Devices? Enable iCloud Two-Factor Authentication
- Fri, 9:43 PM
- ScanSnap on Sierra Update: Fujitsu Warns of Data Loss In 'Specific Circumstances'
- Fri, 9:21 PM
- iOS 10: How to Disable (Some) Haptic Feedback on iPhone 7
- Fri, 7:36 PM
- Use the Digital Crown to Control Your Apple Watch Series 2 Screen Brightness
- Fri, 7:03 PM
- Install Secure XFINITY WiFi Profile On Your New iPhone
- Fri, 6:29 PM
- iOS 10: How to Optimize Downloaded Music Storage
- Fri, 6:01 PM
- iOS 10.0.2 Fixes Headphone Audio Controls, More
- Fri, 5:33 PM
- iOS 10: Apps are Gaining 3D Touch Widgets and They're Freakin Sweet
- Fri, 5:33 PM
- Use a Password Manager to Store Your Driver's License and Passport
- Fri, 3:48 PM
- This May be The 4K UHD Apple TV We've Been Waiting For
- Fri, 1:50 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-23: Apple, AI, and Buying Tuplejump