Check Definitions and Spelling Quickly
TMO Quick Tip - Check Definitions and Spelling Quickly
by , 7:30 AM EDT, August 8th, 2007
Mac OS X hides a clever little way to double-check a word's spelling and definition at the same time. Instead of launching the Dictionary application, you can open a dictionary window with a simple keyboard shortcut.
- Select the word you want a definition for.
- Type Command-Control-D
You don't need to launch Dictionary to take advantage of it.
The dictionary window appears showing what the word means along with how to spell it. Click anywhere else in your document to close the dictionary window.
The downside is that this keyboard shortcut doesn't work in every application. Most Apple applications recognize the shortcut, but some third-party apps don't.
This Quick Tip was adapted from The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Wed, 12:56 PM
- Spotify Introduces new Home Feeds, Offers More Access to Music and Podcasts
- Wed, 11:05 AM
- Foxconn Earnings Beat Expectations Partly Due to Strong Sales of the iPhone 13
- Wed, 10:57 AM
- Apple Negotiating To Get Streaming Rights for Big Ten Athletic Events
- Tue, 4:09 PM
- Apple Increases iPhone 14 Order to 95 Million Units, Kuo Says No Supply Chain Impacts
- Tue, 3:05 PM
- Apple Releases 5th Developer Betas of iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS9, macOS Ventura, More [U: 3rd Public Betas, Too]
- Tue, 2:54 PM
- Google Puts More Pressure on Apple to Adopt RCS with ‘Get the Message’ Campaign
- Tue, 2:37 PM
- Despite Keeping Things Private, Apple TV+ Continues to Show Dominance
- Tue, 1:34 PM
- Apple Partners with Kim Kardashian for Beats Fit Pro in Neutral Colors
- Tue, 1:34 PM
- Apple Brings Battery Percentage Back in iOS 16 beta 5: Who Gets it and Who Doesn't
- Tue, 12:51 PM
- Snapchat Brings Parental Controls Through New 'Family Center' Feature
- Tue, 11:46 AM
- Apple Pay Now Available in Malaysia in Partnership in MayBank, AmBank and Standard Chartered Bank
- Tue, 11:26 AM
- South Korea to Investigate Whether Apple and Other App Store Operators Violate In-App Payment Law