Check Definitions and Spelling Quickly
TMO Quick Tip - Check Definitions and Spelling Quickly
by , 7:30 AM EDT, August 8th, 2007
Mac OS X hides a clever little way to double-check a word's spelling and definition at the same time. Instead of launching the Dictionary application, you can open a dictionary window with a simple keyboard shortcut.
- Select the word you want a definition for.
- Type Command-Control-D
You don't need to launch Dictionary to take advantage of it.
The dictionary window appears showing what the word means along with how to spell it. Click anywhere else in your document to close the dictionary window.
The downside is that this keyboard shortcut doesn't work in every application. Most Apple applications recognize the shortcut, but some third-party apps don't.
This Quick Tip was adapted from The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Tue, 6:29 PM
- Geekbench 4 Released for Mac, iOS, and Other OSes
- Tue, 5:32 PM
- Adonit Jot Touch with Pixelpoint Stylus: $39.99
- Tue, 4:55 PM
- Apple Updates HP Printer Drivers
- Tue, 3:53 PM
- Sonos's Future: Opening Up Control to Alexa and Third-Party Apps
- Tue, 2:06 PM
- 9 Great New 'Little' iOS 10 Features
- Tue, 2:06 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-08-30: Apple's EU Tax Bill, September 7 Media Event
- Tue, 12:37 PM
- EU Says Apple Owes €13B in Back Taxes, and the Fight is On
- Mon, 9:03 PM
- Apple Music's Carpool Karaoke Will Feature Broader Range of Celebrities
- Mon, 7:54 PM
- MOS Pack Backpack Charges Multiple Devices with One Plug
- Mon, 5:45 PM
- Blood in the Macintosh Water: Apple's Competitors Now Sense Weakness
- Mon, 5:29 PM
- FresheTech Splash Tunes Bluetooth Shower Speaker: $19.99
- Mon, 5:15 PM
- Apple Might Destroy the EU