Check Definitions and Spelling Quickly
TMO Quick Tip - Check Definitions and Spelling Quickly
by , 7:30 AM EDT, August 8th, 2007
Mac OS X hides a clever little way to double-check a word's spelling and definition at the same time. Instead of launching the Dictionary application, you can open a dictionary window with a simple keyboard shortcut.
- Select the word you want a definition for.
- Type Command-Control-D
You don't need to launch Dictionary to take advantage of it.
The dictionary window appears showing what the word means along with how to spell it. Click anywhere else in your document to close the dictionary window.
The downside is that this keyboard shortcut doesn't work in every application. Most Apple applications recognize the shortcut, but some third-party apps don't.
This Quick Tip was adapted from The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Fri, 4:37 PM
- Raspberry Pi Smart Home Device Seeks Crowdfunding
- Fri, 4:18 PM
- How To Use FaceTime With Android and More
- Fri, 2:44 PM
- This iPhone 13 Case Gives you a Digital Business Card to Share
- Fri, 2:25 PM
- Do You Have 100 Terabytes of Free Storage? Download the Universe
- Fri, 2:23 PM
- First Look at ‘Foundation’ Coming to Apple TV+
- Fri, 2:08 PM
- FTC Reveals its Study on Acquisitions From Big Tech
- Fri, 2:08 PM
- Apple Moves More Devices from Lightning to USB-C
- Fri, 1:50 PM
- Security Friday: Phishin and Strippin – TMO Daily Observations 2021-09-17
- Fri, 1:46 PM
- 5 Decentralized Services for VPN, Web Browsing, Messaging, and More
- Fri, 12:26 PM
- Apple TV+: 'See' Season Two 'New World' Featurette
- Fri, 12:05 PM
- Recap of 'The Morning Show' Season One
- Fri, 11:47 AM
- Apple Once Threatened to Remove Facebook From App Store Over Human Trafficking