Leopard: Using Expose with Spaces
TMO Quick Tip - Leopard: Using Expose with Spaces
by , 7:30 AM EST, November 30th, 2007
Exposé is great for finding specific document windows, and Leopard's Spaces feature is great for organizing your application windows on their own virtual Desktops. Put the two together, and you have an even better tool for keeping track of everything you are working on.
If you aren't already using Spaces you can enable the feature in the Mac OS X 10.5 System Preferences applications.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click Exposé & Spaces.
- Check Enable Spaces.
Use System Preferences to enable Spaces.
Invoking Spaces is easy: Just tap the F8 key. All of your virtual Desktops, or Spaces, will appear on your display. You can drag open windows from space to space, and click on a window or Desktop to switch to a specific space.
Use F8 to view your Spaces....
To view all of your open windows in every space at the same time, first press the F8 key, and then press the F9 key. First, all of your spaces will appear, and then every window in each space will arrange for easy viewing. If the contents of a window is too small to make out, just roll your mouse pointer over that window to see the document or application name.
...and F9 to activate Exposé in Spaces.
I tend to have lots of Mail message windows open at once, and sometimes those windows are scattered across several virtual Desktops. Using Exposé along with Spaces lets me quickly find just the document or email message I need without spending much time hunting -- regardless of which virtual Desktop it may be hiding on.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Fri, 1:38 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-30: iPhone Lightning Headphone Adapters, Listener Comments
- Fri, 12:03 PM
- A Game of Thrones Gets Enhanced Edition Exclusive to iBooks
- Fri, 11:25 AM
- macOS Sierra: Fast Sound Settings from the Menu Bar
- Fri, 11:24 AM
- iLDOCK on Kickstarter: Lightning Port and Headphone Jack for iPhone 7
- Fri, 10:00 AM
- Get 8 Mac Utilities for Free
- Fri, 9:57 AM
- CW Shows Come to Apple TV, No Cable Subscription Required
- Thu, 9:34 PM
- Safari 10: Hide Flash from Every Website Except Some
- Thu, 6:53 PM
- Use 3D Touch in LINE to Read Messages without a Read Receipt
- Thu, 5:55 PM
- Apple Rolls iPhone 7 Commercial, "Balloons"
- Thu, 5:22 PM
- My Fantasy Wish List for Apple's October Event
- Thu, 1:48 PM
- How to Make macOS Sierra Empty Your Mac's Trash for You
- Thu, 1:23 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-29: John's Apple Product Wish List