Quick-send Text with Mail's Send Selection Service
TMO Quick Tip - Quick-send Text with Mail's Send Selection Service
by , 7:30 AM EST, February 22nd, 2008
Mac OS X has a very powerful yet generally unknown feature called Services. One of the many useful things you can do with Services is email someone text from any document without relying on the old cut-and-paste routine.
- Select the text for any document that you want to include in your email.
- Choose Application name > Services > Mail > Send Selection. For example, if I wanted to copy and email part of a BBEdit document, I would first select the text and then choose BBEdit > Services > Mail > Send Selection.
- A new message will open in Mail with your selected text already inserted in the message body. Enter the email address you want to send the text to, add a subject, and your message is ready to go.
Select the text you want to send in an email message.
Choose Services > Mail > Send Selection
Your text is automatically pasted into a new Mail message.
I use this trick when I need to send someone text, code snippets, and other content that I would otherwise have to first copy and then paste in an email message. It's a real time saver and cuts out several steps for me every time I need to email some text from a document.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Fri, 10:21 PM
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Hits Mac and Linux
- Fri, 4:54 PM
- Evidence is Mounting: Apple Will Convert the Macs to ARM CPUs
- Fri, 1:38 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-30: iPhone Lightning Headphone Adapters, Listener Comments
- Fri, 12:03 PM
- A Game of Thrones Gets Enhanced Edition Exclusive to iBooks
- Fri, 11:25 AM
- macOS Sierra: Fast Sound Settings from the Menu Bar
- Fri, 11:24 AM
- iLDOCK on Kickstarter: Lightning Port and Headphone Jack for iPhone 7
- Fri, 10:00 AM
- Get 8 Mac Utilities for Free
- Fri, 9:57 AM
- CW Shows Come to Apple TV, No Cable Subscription Required
- Thu, 9:34 PM
- Safari 10: Hide Flash from Every Website Except Some
- Thu, 6:53 PM
- Use 3D Touch in LINE to Read Messages without a Read Receipt
- Thu, 5:55 PM
- Apple Rolls iPhone 7 Commercial, "Balloons"
- Thu, 5:22 PM
- My Fantasy Wish List for Apple's October Event