TMO Quick Tip - iCal: Scroll By Days in Week View
by , 7:30 AM EDT, May 30th, 2008
One of the pleasant little surprises tucked away in Apple's recent Mac OS X 10.5.3 update is a new iCal feature I've been wishing for since the scheduling app was released: The ability to scroll a day at a time in iCal's Week View. Changing the setting is quick and easy, and vastly improves the usability of iCal's Week View.
To change from scrolling by weeks to scrolling by days, do this:
- Launch iCal.
- Select iCal > Preferences.
- Click the General tab.
- Choose Days from the Scroll in week view by pop-up menu.
Scroll through weeks a day at a time in iCal.
Now you can scroll through your iCal calendars in single day increments instead of week increments in the Week View. That means if you want to look at your schedule from Thursday through Wednesday instead of Sunday through Saturday, you can.
It also means that you can easily view multi-day events that span from the end of one week to the beginning of the next week. Previously, you were limited to viewing only part of multi-week schedules.
iCal's scroll by day option for Week View is a great addition and one that I'm already using regularly. It's also a feature that should have been available when Apple first introduced iCal, and one that's been available in the antiquated Palm Desktop application pretty much forever.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Wed, 6:39 PM
- Frolic in the Apple Park, Rumors for iPad and Apple Watch - ACM 399
- Wed, 6:27 PM
- Get $8.62 Off Your Amazon Order (Today Only) Thanks to Harris Reputation Poll
- Wed, 5:34 PM
- What a Digital Avatar Patent Might Mean for Apple Customers
- Wed, 5:07 PM
- 5 iMazing Tricks Make Syncing Your iOS Device Fun
- Wed, 3:48 PM
- The Pros and Cons of Legacy Apple Products Going Extinct
- Wed, 2:44 PM
- iOS: Turn Safari Into a Simple RSS Reader
- Wed, 1:52 PM
- What Apple TV Could've Been - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-22
- Wed, 11:53 AM
- Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow Coming to iPhone and iPad
- Wed, 10:40 AM
- New Apple Campus, Dubbed Apple Park, Opens in April
- Wed, 9:06 AM
- iOS: Use "Vibrate Only" for Specific Event Alerts
- Wed, 9:00 AM
- PDFConverterOCR 4: $19.99
- Wed, 8:00 AM
- Be More Productive by Typing Faster