TMO Quick Tip - iCal: Scroll By Days in Week View
by , 7:30 AM EDT, May 30th, 2008
One of the pleasant little surprises tucked away in Apple's recent Mac OS X 10.5.3 update is a new iCal feature I've been wishing for since the scheduling app was released: The ability to scroll a day at a time in iCal's Week View. Changing the setting is quick and easy, and vastly improves the usability of iCal's Week View.
To change from scrolling by weeks to scrolling by days, do this:
- Launch iCal.
- Select iCal > Preferences.
- Click the General tab.
- Choose Days from the Scroll in week view by pop-up menu.
Scroll through weeks a day at a time in iCal.
Now you can scroll through your iCal calendars in single day increments instead of week increments in the Week View. That means if you want to look at your schedule from Thursday through Wednesday instead of Sunday through Saturday, you can.
It also means that you can easily view multi-day events that span from the end of one week to the beginning of the next week. Previously, you were limited to viewing only part of multi-week schedules.
iCal's scroll by day option for Week View is a great addition and one that I'm already using regularly. It's also a feature that should have been available when Apple first introduced iCal, and one that's been available in the antiquated Palm Desktop application pretty much forever.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Fri, 3:22 PM
- New Cloud Browser ‘Mighty’ to Cost $30 per Month
- Fri, 3:01 PM
- Goldman Sachs Reverses its ‘Sell’ Analysis for Apple Stock
- Fri, 2:11 PM
- Visible to Offer Early Smartphone Upgrade Program for Members
- Fri, 2:02 PM
- Security Friday: Zero Day, Passwords, and More! – TMO Daily Observations 2021-04-30
- Fri, 1:40 PM
- SuperDuper Can Back Up Your M1 Mac, But There’s a Catch
- Fri, 12:59 PM
- 'The Mosquito Coast' and Elliot Page Interview With Oprah Now on Apple TV+
- Fri, 12:48 PM
- Sinji Flexible Borescope Camera for iPhone, Android: $29.95
- Fri, 11:00 AM
- VMware Fusion Won’t Run x86 VMs on M1 Macs
- Fri, 10:44 AM
- How Apple is Navigating the Great Semiconductor Shortage
- Fri, 10:34 AM
- MOFT Introduces 2-in-1 Stand & Case for iPad Pro, iPad Air
- Fri, 10:20 AM
- Charty 1.4 Update Brings Ring Charts, New UI, Video Tutorials
- Fri, 9:15 AM
- Updated Apple TV 4K and New Siri Remote Available to Order