TMO Quick Tip - iCal: Scroll By Days in Week View
by , 7:30 AM EDT, May 30th, 2008
One of the pleasant little surprises tucked away in Apple's recent Mac OS X 10.5.3 update is a new iCal feature I've been wishing for since the scheduling app was released: The ability to scroll a day at a time in iCal's Week View. Changing the setting is quick and easy, and vastly improves the usability of iCal's Week View.
To change from scrolling by weeks to scrolling by days, do this:
- Launch iCal.
- Select iCal > Preferences.
- Click the General tab.
- Choose Days from the Scroll in week view by pop-up menu.
Scroll through weeks a day at a time in iCal.
Now you can scroll through your iCal calendars in single day increments instead of week increments in the Week View. That means if you want to look at your schedule from Thursday through Wednesday instead of Sunday through Saturday, you can.
It also means that you can easily view multi-day events that span from the end of one week to the beginning of the next week. Previously, you were limited to viewing only part of multi-week schedules.
iCal's scroll by day option for Week View is a great addition and one that I'm already using regularly. It's also a feature that should have been available when Apple first introduced iCal, and one that's been available in the antiquated Palm Desktop application pretty much forever.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Wed, 10:54 AM
- It's Official: Stranger Things Season 2 is Coming in 2017
- Wed, 10:25 AM
- Apple's iCloud gets 2TB Storage Tier Ahead of iPhone Launch
- Wed, 9:35 AM
- OS X: Use a Keyboard Shortcut for Display Mirroring
- Tue, 9:56 PM
- Idle Thoughts on Google Entering Ride-Sharing Business in San Francisco
- Tue, 7:06 PM
- iTrip Clip Makes Your Headphones Wireless Ahead of iPhone 7 Launch
- Tue, 6:29 PM
- Geekbench 4 Released for Mac, iOS, and Other OSes
- Tue, 5:32 PM
- Adonit Jot Touch with Pixelpoint Stylus: $39.99
- Tue, 4:55 PM
- Apple Updates HP Printer Drivers
- Tue, 3:53 PM
- Sonos's Future: Opening Up Control to Alexa and Third-Party Apps
- Tue, 2:06 PM
- 9 Great New 'Little' iOS 10 Features
- Tue, 2:06 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-08-30: Apple's EU Tax Bill, September 7 Media Event
- Tue, 12:37 PM
- EU Says Apple Owes €13B in Back Taxes, and the Fight is On