TMO Quick Tip - Smart Mailboxes: Organize Mail by Date
by , 7:30 AM EDT, July 7th, 2008
I get so many email messages that it can get overwhelming trying to keep up with all of incoming information. Instead of giving up and walking away, I turned to Mail's Smart Mailbox feature to auto-organize my messages so I always know what's new, what came in recently, and which messages are probably due for archiving.
I assume that any messages I received at least six months ago probably aren't relevant any more, so they can be archived or deleted. Here's how I made Smart Mailboxes track those messages for me:
- While in Mail, choose Mailbox > New Smart Mailbox.
- Select Date Received from the From pop-up menu.
- Choose is not in the last from the is today pop-up menu.
- Enter the number of months back you want to look -- I chose six -- and change the Days pop-up menu to Months.
- Don't forget to give your new Smart Mailbox a descriptive name, and then click OK.
View messages by date range with Smart Folders
Since your Smart Mailbox finds messages relative to the current date, it will always auto-update to include messages as they turn six months old.
I group email messages by date.
I also set up Smart Mailboxes to show me messages that I received today, unread email from the past three days, and all of my incoming messages from the past two days. My Smart Mailboxes help me work through messages in manageable chunks, and they help me keep the number of old messages on my Mac from growing out of control.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Thu, 6:33 PM
- 7 Reasons For Apple to Discontinue the Mac Pro
- Thu, 6:02 PM
- Can WALTR 2 Really Be Your iTunes Replacement?
- Thu, 4:54 PM
- New Mac Ransomware Leaves Your Files Permanently Encrypted
- Thu, 4:04 PM
- Acoustic Imaging and iPhone 8: Can You Hear My Fingerprint?
- Thu, 3:58 PM
- Stop Facebook's Emotional Manipulation With This Tool
- Thu, 1:55 PM
- iPhone 8 3D Cameras, iMazing Tips - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-23
- Thu, 9:25 AM
- macOS: How to See the Hierarchy of Your File Locations
- Thu, 9:00 AM
- BK SPORT Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones: $16.99
- Wed, 6:39 PM
- Frolic in the Apple Park, Rumors for iPad and Apple Watch - ACM 399
- Wed, 6:27 PM
- Get $8.62 Off Your Amazon Order (Today Only) Thanks to Harris Reputation Poll
- Wed, 5:34 PM
- What a Digital Avatar Patent Might Mean for Apple Customers
- Wed, 5:07 PM
- 5 iMazing Tricks Make Syncing Your iOS Device Fun