TMO Quick Tip - PDF: Selective Copy Text from Columns
by , 7:30 AM EDT, August 6th, 2008
Copying text from a document is a no brainer, especially if the document is pretty basic. If the document is a PDF and includes columns, however, it's kind of a pain to copy text without getting lots of extra stuff that you don't really want. Of course, there's a trick that makes it easy to get just what you want, and it's not hard to do.
Dragging copies across columns.
Instead of simply clicking and dragging to select text in a column, Option-click and drag. Your cursor will change from an insert bar into a cross hair to let you know you are in block copy mode, and you can select just the text you want from a single column.
Option-dragging copies from the area you select.
I use this trick any time I need to copy text from a PDF in Preview or Adobe Acrobat, but don't want any of the text from surrounding columns. It's a real time saver since I don't have to delete the words I don't need.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.Jeff Gamet is TMO's Managing Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
- Tue, 6:21 PM
- Apple Remote Desktop Updated with Touch Bar Support
- Tue, 4:07 PM
- Here’s the TV Set-Top Box Apple Could Have Built: Caavo
- Tue, 2:47 PM
- New iPad Pro and iPhone SE Report - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-21
- Tue, 11:51 AM
- Apple Using PrimeSense Tech for iPhone 8 3D Front Facing Camera
- Tue, 9:00 AM
- Stress Blocks: $14.99
- Tue, 5:19 AM
- Rumors about March Apple Event for iPhone SE and iPads Get Serious
- Mon, 7:24 PM
- Game of Thrones 'A Dance with Dragons' iBooks Enhanced Edition on Preorder
- Mon, 5:53 PM
- Returning to U.S. With iPhone? What Are Your Rights?
- Mon, 4:48 PM
- Hidden Folks is the Whimsically Fun Hidden Object Game You Need on Your iPhone and iPad
- Mon, 4:31 PM
- macOS Sierra: Delete And Reinstall 1Password To Refresh Certificate [Update]
- Mon, 4:05 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview with Open Source Developer & Former Apple Manager Jordan Hubbard
- Mon, 2:10 PM
- Apple's Facial Recognition Plans, the AI Race - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-20