Apple has released a firmware update for AirPort Extreme base stations, bringing it to version 5.1.3. The new version adds enhanced protection against unsolicited internet traffic such as denial of service (DoS) attacks, improvements in USB printing performance, better interference robustness to protect against interference from other devices in the area that use the 2.4GHz spectrum, and more. From Apple:
AirPort Extreme Base Station features:
- Enhanced security for handling unsolicited Internet traffic, including different types of denial-of-service attacks, that may be directed at an AirPort Extreme Base Station. The new protection mechanisms in this firmware will help prevent loss of Internet connectivity.
- Additional improvements in USB printing performance.
- Base station Interference Robustness, which provides improved performance when 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones and wireless video distribution system cause significant interference with the AirPort network.
- Simpler Wireless Distribution System (WDS) setup experience in AirPort Admin Utility
- Administrators have the ability to set the DHCP range on their base station when NAT is on
- Performance improvements between wired and wireless clients.
You can get more information and a download from Appleis Web site. Downloads are available for both OS X and Windows.