Apple released firmware updates for its Intel-based Mac product line on Wednesday. These updates are necessary to properly install and use Boot Camp, Appleis application that lets you install and boot Windows XP on your Mac. Apple has separate updates available for the iMac, Mac mini, and MacBook Pro.
Hereis how to install the firmware update:
- Quit all open applications.
- Launch the Firmware Updater.
- Click the Shut Down button in the Firmware Updater window and wait for your computer to shut down.
- Press and hold the power button on your Mac until the power indicator light starts flashing.
- You should see a progress bar indicating that the firmware update is installing. Be sure you donit shut down or restart your Mac while the update is installing. Your Mac will restart automatically once the update finishes.
- The Firmware Updater will launch itself and tell you if it successfully updated your firmware. Click the OK button.
Apple also released a firmware restoration tool that resets your Intel-based Macis firmware to its original firmware. You can download Firmware Restoration CD 1.0 at the Apple Web site.