The Omni Group has updated their Cocoa built web browser, OmniWeb, to version 4.0b7. Currently the only Cocoa browser, IE and iCab are Carbonized, the latest version promises improved stability and a host of new features. According to The Omni Group:
OmniWeb 4.0 beta 7 is now available. OmniWeb is a full-featured native web browser for Mac OS X. Highly multi-threaded and written using Appleis advanced Cocoa frameworks, OmniWeb is designed to provide you with the best user experience youill find in a web browser. We think itis important to polish every user interaction to make sure that the browser acts the way you want it to--so you can stop thinking about the application youire using and just get at the information you want, quickly. (If you donit like anything about OmniWebis user experience, please let us know!)
You may use OmniWeb for free, with no functional restrictions. If you like OmniWeb, we encourage you to support its development by purchasing an official license. Licenses are $29.95. The more licenses of OmniWeb we sell, the more development time we can afford to spend on OmniWeb and other Mac OS X applications (and we love working on Mac OS X applications). However, we donit insist that you purchase a license, and the only behavioral difference between the licensed version and the unlicensed version is that the latter periodically displays a licensing "reminder" at startup and displays an "unlicensed" banner across browser windows that have been idle for a while.
If you have any problems installing or using OmniWeb, please check the OmniWeb frequently-asked-questions at http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/faq/. Please send your bug reports and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highlights of beta 7 include:
- New "instant search" through pages youive visited, to help locate that tidbit you remember seeing just a few days ago. (Access this on the history drawer.)
- Much more stable (tons of internal crashes fixed, plus final system patches from Apple).
- Beta version of updated manual is now online at http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/documentation/.
- More preferences for user interface features.
- Bookmarks are now accessible from the menu.
- Many more features can be accessed via the various context menus (such as saving images).
- Command-1 now rotates through browser windows.
- Checks spelling as you type in form text areas.
- Several font size fixes / changes.
- Improved drag support (you can now drag links to the dock, for instance).
You can find more information about OmniWeb at the Omni Group web site.