Uni Software Plus has released version 1.3.1 of PopChar Pro. The new version allows users to type "exotic" characters without having to remember arcane keystrokes. Rather, with the program installed, users can get a pop-up list of all characters included in the current font, and select any character from the list. According to Uni Software Plus:
UNI SOFTWARE PLUS announced the immediate availability of the new version 1.3.1 of its popular control panel PopChar Pro.
The new version is a maintenance release that fixes a problem where clicking the PopChar Pro floating window while a menu was open caused the current application to hang.
PopChar Pro makes "typing" of unusual characters easy without having to remember keyboard combinations. It installs a menu that shows all characters available in the current font. Any character can be inserted in the current document by simply selecting it from the menu.
- simple to use (from a pull-down menu or a floating window for quick access)
- shows all characters available in a given font and allows users to customize the display of individual fonts
- offers a floating window for quick access of character sequences
- is multilingual (English, German, French and Swedish)
- automatically detects the current font in most applications (including MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Framemaker, Adobe Illustrator)
- allows manual font selection (in case PopChar Pro cannot determine the current font automatically)
- includes a layout editor for creating custom character arrangements
- is fast (essential parts are PowerPC native)
PopChar Pro is available for US$29. You can find more information at the Uni Software Plus web site.