Skype has announced a new Mac OS X beta client for its self-titled Skype voice over IP service. Skype is a digital communication platform that allows text and voice communication across the Internet, including calls to land-based telephones, as well as file transfers and other communication.
"We celebrated Skypeis first anniversary on Sunday (August 29) with more than 9 million users from every country in the world," said Niklas Zennstr?m, Skype CEO and co-founder, in a press release. "Today we invite the millions of Mac users to connect with people with other operating systems and gain the benefits of 21st century voice communication."
Skype for Mac OS X beta Free Features:
Skype is a free download, while some of Skypeis services are fee-based. Skype requires Mac OS X v10.3 or newer, a G3, G4, or G5 and minimum 400 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM, 20 MB free hard drive disk space, speakers, microphone and an Internet connection. The company noted that its Mac OS X beta is a native Cocoa application.
- Global Directory - User-built global Skype contacts directory with numerous search options and an easy add-a-contact tool
- Tracking - Call and message tracking
- Customization with My Picture image display
- File transfer - Send and receive encrypted files via Skype to others, including all Skype for Mac, Windows and Linux users
- Mobility - Log in to Skype account from Mac OS X, Windows or Linux-based PC or Pocket PC device anywhere in the world
- Security - end-to-end encryption
- Multiple Skype accounts on one computing device
- Designed and built for Mac OS with a compatible and user-friendly interface
- Instant messaging and more
Skype for Mac OS X beta includes the new SkypeOut service, offering global calling to any traditional telephone number at local rates. The service allows Skype users to pre-pay and use their computing device and Internet connection to call landlines and mobile phones anywhere in the world. SkypeOut Global Rate pricing is 1.7 Euro cents per minute (approx US$0.02). The complete country rate sheet is available at http://www.skype.com/skypeout/help.pricelist.html