Ever wonder what makes some software applications stand out from others, when it seems that they perform the same task? CTS has created a system for analyzing computing needs against available software solutions, allowing users to pick the best application for the job. According to CTS:
CTS, publishers of software evaluation materials, now makes available at no charge, on their corporate website, http://wwww.ctsguides.com the critical secrets of what to do and what to look for before you buy software.
CTS has taken these principles of smart accounting and business software selection, and reduced them down to 20 points applicable to any software purchase -- from accounting to manufacturing!
CTS experts in the fields of software including, but not limited to, accounting, construction, medical practice management, manufacturing, nonprofits, and small businesses have concurred that anyone buying software needs to know these secrets before they buy.
Among the issues that "software selection secrets" deal with are:
- When is the right time to do needs assessment for your company?
- Who should be doing your needs assessment?
- When does it make sense to bring in a professional consultant?
- What features should you focus on when choosing between different software packages?
- What are the benefits of using a scripted demo to qualify a vendor and reseller?
- What should you do if you have a complex problem that none of the software packages seem to address?
- Should you consider making changes in the source code of a commercial package?
- How much impact does your companyis growth rate and plans have on your software selection process?
- Are you better off with a bare bones system, or with one that is "loaded"?
- What about the myth that you can always extract data from the system using a modern report writer?
- How do you know if your demands of a system are reasonable?
- Do you need to know how to evaluate hidden costs?
- How do you plan your software implementation?
- Who should be involved in the decision to make the purchase?
- Is it wise to delegate the management of the conversion?
- When is it the right time to upgrade to a new system?
- How do you check out your reseller to your satisfaction?
You can find more information at the CTS web site.