Apple has announced its “App of the Year” and other Best of 2011 winners for Rewind 2011 on iTunes. Apple named Burbn’s Instagram as the iPhone App of the Year, while Nik Software’s Snapseed was designated the iPad App of the Year.
Instagram (free) is a popular photography app where you can not only take pictures, but add filters and other tweaks, and perhaps most importantly, share your photos with others. Runners-up for iPhone App of the Year include VidRhythm ($1.99) and Band of the Day (free).
The iPad App of the Year went to Snapseed ($4.99), another photo editing app. Runners-up were djay ($9.99) and Jamie’s Recipes (free). For games, the iPad Game of the Year went to Dead Space ($4.99) with runners-up of Contre Jour HD ($2.99) and Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP ($4.99).
Apple chose top picks in other categories too, including Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books, and Podcasts. Each category includes many winners, but we’ve grabbed the top winners for your convenience below.
- Best Novel: The Tiger’s Wife
- Best Nonfiction: Boomerang
- Best Teen Novel: Between Shades of Gray
- Best Enhanced Book: Jacqueline Kennedy (Enhanced Edition)
- Artist of the Year: Adele
- Album of the Year: Wasting Light by The Foo Fighters
- Single of the Year: “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster The People
- Breakthrough Artist of the Year: Nicki Minaj
- Best Blockbuster: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows - Part 2
- Best Comedy: Bridesmaides
- Best Indie: Midnight in Paris
- Best Romance: Beginners
- Best Half Hour: Modern Family (Season 3)
- Best Drama: Breaking Bad (Season 4)
- Best Discovery: Downtown Abbey
- Best Breakout Comedy: Parks & Recreation (Season 4)