Leopard: Dictionary's Wikipedia Search
TMO Quick Tip - Leopard: Dictionary's Wikipedia Search
by , 7:30 AM EST, December 10th, 2007
Apple's Dictionary application is a handy resource, and a tool that I use on a regular basis. You can use it to check definitions and spelling on the fly, use it as a thesaurus, and in Leopard it can even search Wikipedia for you.
If you aren't familiar with Wikipedia, it's an online encyclopedia that's updated and maintained by the community that uses it. It's a great Web-based tool that's loaded to the gills with information on almost any topic you can imagine.
Accessing Wikipedia from Dictionary is easy. Here's what to do:
- Launch Dictionary. It's hiding in your Applications directory.
- Select Wikipedia from the source bar.
- Enter a subject in the search field, and then press Return.
Dictionary can search Wikipedia.
Dictionary will dutifully track down and display the Wikipedia entry for your topic of choice, complete with active cross reference links and graphics. Cross references display in Dictionary when clicked, but clicking a graphic opens the full-size version in your default Web browser.
Dictionary isn't a replacement for a full-on Web browser, but it makes for a great research tool without the overhead -- and extra features -- that go along with a regular browser like Safari or OmniWeb.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Tue,8:51 PM
- GTAT Announces ‘Amicable Parting’ of Ways with Apple
- 6:50 PM
- How I Came to Own and Sell a TAM Probably Owned by Jony Ive
- 5:01 PM
- Adobe KnowHow: Learn Photography From The Best for $29.99
- 4:49 PM
- How To Get Ready For iOS 8.1 [Update]
- 2:59 PM
- Chuck La Tournous and Chris Breen to Speak at NJMUG’s 30th Anniversary Tuesday
- 2:24 PM
- Don’t Upgrade to Yosemite or iOS 8.1 Before You Read This Column
- 2:06 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-21
- 12:29 PM
- How Apple Pay Mitigates Breach Fatigue
- 10:50 AM
- How to Enable Apple’s SMS Relay on your Mac or iPad
- 9:43 AM
- Apple Earnings Smackdown Ranks Analyst Predictions
- Mon,9:52 PM
- Apple Q4 Earnings Sliced And Diced
- 8:21 PM
- Apple Q4 MacBook Sales Hit Record Breaking Numbers, Jump 25 Percent