Blue Snowball USB Microphone
Review - Blue Snowball USB Microphone
by , 9:00 AM EST, January 16th, 2007
There was a time when studio quality microphones were beyond the reach of average users, but thankfully those days are behind us. The field is full of affordable options, and Blue's Snowball microphone is one of my favorites.
The Snowball doesn't require any breakout box, instead it connects directly to your Mac via a standard USB cable. It is a multi-pattern condenser mic, so you have the option of using it with an omnidirectional or cardiod pick up pattern. In simplified terms, that means the microphone can pick up audio from either the area in front of it, or from all around.
The Snowball ships with a USB cable and a small tripod mic stand. Both are handy, but I didn't feel totally comfortable with the stand. Its small size felt somewhat unstable to me, and it was difficult to properly tighten the stand neck to keep the mic at the height I preferred. The neck even slipped a couple of times letting the Snowball drop to the base of the stand. It did not, however, fall over - much to my relief.
You can also attach the Snowball to your own mic stand since it uses a standard thread pattern. Just be sure your stand is properly balanced because the mic is a bit heavy.
The audio quality was outstanding. The difference between the Snowball and other microphones was very noticeable when I used it to record TMO's Apple Weekly Report podcast with Ricky Spero.
When I first started playing with it, Ricky couldn't seem to get enough sound, even when I cranked the audio input level all the way up in the Sound Preference Pane. I installed Blue's high gain firmware update for the mic, which improves the pickup level for spoken word, and all was well.
If you want to hear what the Snowball sounds like, I first used it on the November 19, 2006 edition of Apple Weekly Report (at that time called Weekly Roundup).
The Bottom Line
- Sat, 1:58 PM
- What To Know About The New iPad Mini
- Sat, 9:28 AM
- iOS Quick Tip: Assign Contacts Nicknames With Siri
- Fri, 4:37 PM
- Raspberry Pi Smart Home Device Seeks Crowdfunding
- Fri, 4:18 PM
- How To Use FaceTime With Android and More
- Fri, 2:44 PM
- This iPhone 13 Case Gives you a Digital Business Card to Share
- Fri, 2:25 PM
- Do You Have 100 Terabytes of Free Storage? Download the Universe
- Fri, 2:23 PM
- First Look at ‘Foundation’ Coming to Apple TV+
- Fri, 2:08 PM
- FTC Reveals its Study on Acquisitions From Big Tech
- Fri, 2:08 PM
- Apple Moves More Devices from Lightning to USB-C
- Fri, 1:50 PM
- Security Friday: Phishin and Strippin – TMO Daily Observations 2021-09-17
- Fri, 1:46 PM
- 5 Decentralized Services for VPN, Web Browsing, Messaging, and More
- Fri, 12:26 PM
- Apple TV+: 'See' Season Two 'New World' Featurette