Blue Snowball USB Microphone
Review - Blue Snowball USB Microphone
by , 9:00 AM EST, January 16th, 2007
There was a time when studio quality microphones were beyond the reach of average users, but thankfully those days are behind us. The field is full of affordable options, and Blue's Snowball microphone is one of my favorites.
The Snowball doesn't require any breakout box, instead it connects directly to your Mac via a standard USB cable. It is a multi-pattern condenser mic, so you have the option of using it with an omnidirectional or cardiod pick up pattern. In simplified terms, that means the microphone can pick up audio from either the area in front of it, or from all around.
The Snowball ships with a USB cable and a small tripod mic stand. Both are handy, but I didn't feel totally comfortable with the stand. Its small size felt somewhat unstable to me, and it was difficult to properly tighten the stand neck to keep the mic at the height I preferred. The neck even slipped a couple of times letting the Snowball drop to the base of the stand. It did not, however, fall over - much to my relief.
You can also attach the Snowball to your own mic stand since it uses a standard thread pattern. Just be sure your stand is properly balanced because the mic is a bit heavy.
The audio quality was outstanding. The difference between the Snowball and other microphones was very noticeable when I used it to record TMO's Apple Weekly Report podcast with Ricky Spero.
When I first started playing with it, Ricky couldn't seem to get enough sound, even when I cranked the audio input level all the way up in the Sound Preference Pane. I installed Blue's high gain firmware update for the mic, which improves the pickup level for spoken word, and all was well.
If you want to hear what the Snowball sounds like, I first used it on the November 19, 2006 edition of Apple Weekly Report (at that time called Weekly Roundup).
The Bottom Line
- Thu, 5:01 PM
- Apple Awarding $5 million 'Innovation Grants' to Four HBCUs
- Thu, 4:40 PM
- Carrot's Idiot Maker Tried to Unbox Their Apple Design Award - It Didn't Go Well
- Thu, 4:21 PM
- Rep. Joe Morelle Introduces Right to Repair Legislation in House of Representatives
- Thu, 4:15 PM
- Netflix Takes Almost the Same Percentage of TV Usage as Apple TV+, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock and Discovery+ Combined
- Thu, 2:48 PM
- This Man Warned Apple About China Years Ago
- Thu, 1:44 PM
- Try Out The New Safari 15 Features With Safari Technology Preview
- Thu, 1:18 PM
- Apple Slashes Cost of AppleCare+ Plans for M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro
- Thu, 1:06 PM
- Thursdays with Bob: Gifts and WWDC Summary – TMO Daily Observations 2021-06-17
- Thu, 12:59 PM
- What Struck Dr. Mac at WWDC 2021...
- Thu, 12:54 PM
- Full RuneScape is Now Available for iPhone and iPad
- Thu, 12:50 PM
- 'The Shrink Next Door' Premieres on Apple TV+ November 12
- Thu, 12:43 PM
- Hyper’s New USB-C HDMI Adapter Supports 8K at 60Hz