Aspyr Media announced Thursday that Doom 3 for Mac has gone gold, meaning it is finished and ready for manufacturing. Doom 3 is the long-awaited sequel to Doom, which was a huge hit in the Windows world. Aspyr developed the Mac version of Doom 3 in conjunction with Id Software, the gameis original developer.
The gameis description, from Aspyr: "The ruins of an ancient Martian civilization have unlocked the secrets to teleportation and the Union Aerospace Corporation will stop at nothing to harness this world-altering technology. As part of a Marine detachment sent to protect the facility, your duty seemed simple enough ? until the invasion. Now, in an epic clash against pure evil you must fight to understand who is with you, who is against you, and what must be done to stop this nightmare from reaching earth."
The game is based around a new 3D graphics engine Id Software developed for the game, and sports rather stiff system requirements:
Minimum System Requirements
- Doom 3 runs on any iMac G5, or any Mac that meets the requirements below
- Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8 or later
- CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or later
- CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
- Memory: 512 MB or higher
- Hard Disk Space: 2.0GB free disk space
- Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better
- Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX5200 or better
- Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB
- Media Required: DVD Drive
Recommended System Requirements
- Doom 3 runs best on a Power Mac G5 2.0 GHz or faster
- CPU Processor:PowerPC G5
- CPU Speed:2.0GHz or faster
- Video RAM:128MB
Doom 3 is available for pre-order, and will ship on March 14th, 2005. The game is priced at US$49.99, and can be ordered direct from Amazon. You can find more information at Aspyris Web site A trailer for the game can also be watched on Appleis site.