Aspyr Media announced Monday the long-awaited released of Doom 3 for the Mac. A continuation of the original Doom series, Doom 3 is a first person shooter (FPS) that was built on an entirely new 3D engine developed by id Software.
"DOOM 3 has instantly become a must have title for any game fan, and now Macintosh owners can experience the unmatched atmosphere and edge-of-your-seat gameplay that critics and gamers have been raving about," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "DOOM 3s intense combat, realistic sound and physics, and unbelievably terrifying creatures draw you into the gaming experience like never before, and our bleeding-edge technology is the perfect showpiece for the power of todayis Macintosh systems."
The game puts the player in the role of a marine in a special unit deployed to protect the ruins of an ancient Martian civilization. The problems began with a demonic invasion intent on taking over the facilities youire guarding.
Doom 3 garnered many excellent reviews when it was released for Windows, and the graphics are some of the most realistic looking ever.
- Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8 or later
- CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or later
- CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
- Memory: 512 MB or higher
- Hard Disk Space: 2.0 GB free disk space
- Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better
- Video Card (Nvidia): GeForce FX5200 or better
- Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB
- Media required: DVD Drive
Recommended system requirements:
- CPU Processor: PowerPC G5
- CPU Speed: 2.0GHz or faster
- Video RAM: 128 MB
You can see a trailer for the game at Appleis trailer Web site, and you can find more information at Aspyris Web site. You can order it directly from Amazon for US$49.88. The game should be on store shelves on March 19th.