LaCie has announced a new line of external hard drives that combine high-speed data transfers with the versatility of three different kinds of connections. The LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme series features two FireWire 800 ports, one FireWire 400 port, and even a USB2 port with drive sizes of up to 250GB (with larger sizes coming soon) with 8MB of drive cache. From LaCie:
LaCie pairs its fastest and most versatile external drives to debut the new d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface offering capacities of up to 250GB and a 7200rpm 8MB buffer with larger capacities arriving this winter. Now customers can achieve extreme throughput with FireWire 800 thanks to the fastest and newest Oxford 912 chipset, while also receiving the benefit of additional FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 interfaces for easy data transfer between Windows and Mac platforms.
"This latest series of LaCie drives merges the best of previous generations into a portable solution designed to meet any professional or everyday need," says Olivier Mirloup, LaCie Senior Product Manager. ?The LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface offers the cross-platform compatibility and speed needed for storage/backup, graphics/imaging work, and video/audio/photo editing."
The LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface comes in the distinct d2 design made of sturdy aluminum alloy that offers improved heat dissipation to help prolong the life of the drive. These rackmountable, high-performance drives are ideal for professionals working with large audio/video projects. Triple interfaces allow people to quickly swap large files between workstations or daisy chain additional devices to the drive for added convenience.
- Auto on/off feature for energy conservation
- Fan free for quiet operation
- Stack upright or place in a standard 19-inch rack
- Hot-pluggable for cross-platform file transfers
- Daisy chain additional devices such as DV/iLink camcorder
- No drivers or software needed for Windows XP/2000 or Mac OS X users
- Compatible with Kensington locks
- 7200rpm and 8MB buffer on all models
- Interfaces: (Two) FireWire 800, (One) FireWire 400/iLink/DV, (One) Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- Included cables: FireWire 800 (9-to-9 pin), FireWire 400 (6-to-6 pin), iLink/DV (6-to-4 pin), Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 compatible)
Included software: LaCie Storage Utilities CD-ROM with Silverkeeper backup software for Mac OS 9.x and Mac OS X and Silverlining Pro for drive management on Mac OS 9.x
Included accessories: Drive stand for upright desktop use, external power supply
The LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme line will be available in September in the US, November elsewhere. Prices range from US$199 for a 160GB model, to US$279 for a 250GB model.