Apple released OS X 10.9.2 on Tuesday, a Mavericks update that includes important bug fixes and a couple of new features. More importantly for some users, TMO can confirm that the update includes a fix for the SSL security hole that was patched in iOS on Friday.
We would like to encourage all Mavericks users to install this update as soon as possible.
On the new feature side, Apple added support for FaceTime audio calls, as well as support for call waiting on FaceTime video and audio calls. The company also added the ability to block incoming iMessage text messages from individual senders.
On the bug fix side, Apple specifies fixes for a persistent Mail issue that prevented some users from being able to download new messages, as well as problems with unread message counts. There were many other bug fixes as well, as shown in the patch notes below.
Curiously, the patch notes make no mention of the important SSL security hole announced on Friday. Dubbed Goto Fail, the hole left unpatched Macs and iOS devices vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack.
A report from AppleInsider on Monday said that the fix was definitely included in the latest developer release of 10.9.2, but there is no mention of it in the patch notes. With help from TekRevue's Jim Tanous, who installed OS X 10.9.2 and tested it against the gotofail.com bug test site, TMO can confirm that this release patches the problem.
As of this writing, Apple has yet to release the separate security KnowledgeBase entry that accompanies most of its software releases.
Apple's OS X 10.9.2 patch notes:
About the update
The OS X Mavericks v10.9.2 Update is recommended for all OS X Mavericks users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac. This update:
- Adds the ability to make and receive FaceTime audio calls
- Adds call waiting support for FaceTime audio and video calls
- Adds the ability to block incoming iMessages from individual senders
- Includes general improvements to the stability and compatibility of Mail
- Improves the accuracy of unread counts in Mail
- Resolves an issue that prevented Mail from receiving new messages from certain providers
- Improves AutoFill compatibility in Safari
- Fixes an issue that may cause audio distortion on certain Macs
- Improves reliability when connecting to a file server using SMB2
- Fixes an issue that may cause VPN connections to disconnect
- Improves VoiceOver navigation in Mail and Finder
- Improves VoiceOver reliability when navigating websites
- Improves compatibility with Gmail Archive mailboxes
- Includes improvements to Gmail labels
- Improves Safari browsing and Software Update installation when using an authenticated web proxy
- Fixes an issue that could cause the Mac App Store to offer updates for apps that are already up to date
- Improves the reliability of diskless NetBoot service in OS X Server
- Fixes braille driver support for specific HandyTech displays
- Resolves an issue when using Safe Boot with some systems
- Improves ExpressCard compatibility for some MacBook Pro 2010 models
- Resolves an issue which prevented printing to printers shared by Windows XP
- Resolves an issue with Keychain that could cause repeated prompts to unlock the Local Items keychain
- Fixes an issue that could prevent certain preference panes from opening in System Preferences
- Fixes an issue that may prevent migration from completing while in Setup Assistant