Two smokers found out the hard way that Apple isn't interested in fixing Macs that have been contaminated with cigarette smoke. In both cases, Mac owners requested AppleCare repairs and were denied because of cigarette smoke contamination, according to The Consumerist.
One Mac owner took their MacBook to the Jordan Creek Apple Store in West Des Moines, Iowa, because his computer had been overheating. "Apple store called and informed me that due to the computer having been used in a house where there was smoking, that has voided the warranty and they refuse to work on the machine, due to health risks of second hand smoke," he said.
In another case, a Mac owner took their iMac into a local authorized Apple repair center because it stopped working. "They informed me that his computer can't be worked on because it's contaminated," she said. "When I asked for an explanation, she said he's a smoker and it's contaminated with cigarette smoke which they consider a bio-hazard!"
There's no information in either case to indicate whether the smoke contamination was minimal, or if the internal components were heavily coated with smoke and tar residue. In both cases, however, Apple informed the Mac owners that their computers were considered bio hazards and employees would not be forced to repair computers that could pose potential health threats.
Apple hasn't responded to requests for additional information, but it seems clear that damage from cigarette smoke can be enough to void your AppleCare warranty.