Propellerhead Software announced Wednesday that Reason 5 and Record 1.5 have shipped. Reason 5 adds the Dr. Octo Rex loop player (it replaces Dr. Rex) and a drum machine called Kong Drum Designer. There are also new sounds, patches, instruments, and other new features. Record 1.5 adds a new pitch adjustor and corrector called Neptune and is being updated to integrate with Reason 5.
Propellerhead is pitching the two together as a recording solution, with Reason offering instrument sequencing and Record serving as the digital studio (to compete to a certain extent with Pro Tools and Apple’s Logic).
New features (as provided by Propellerhead):
- Kong Drum Designer (Reason): Load, sculpt, build and tweak your sounds with your choice of drum synthesis, sampling, REX loops, physical modeling and custom-made effect modules for percussion on Kong’s 16 pads. (YouTube video)
- Dr. Octo Rex Loop Player (Reason): No matter how you use it—as a pattern sequencer for loops, or to completely mangle your REX’ed audio – it is guaranteed to inspire. (YouTube video)
- Neptune Pitch Adjuster and Voice Synth Device (Record): Super flexible high-quality processor to correct and shift pitches, create backing harmonies, formant shift or take your vocals into outer space (YouTube video)
- Block based pattern sequencing mode (Both): Go from pattern-based arrangements to linear—to patterns again. Take your music beyond the eight bar loop. (YouTube video)
- Vastly expanded Factory Sound Bank with Signature patches (Reason): Reason’s sound bank more than doubles in size, thanks in large part to signature contributors: Printz Board, Bomb Squad, Jason McGerr, Sharooz, Adam Beyer, Keith LeBlanc, Cari Lekebusch & others. (YouTube video)
- Live sampling is back! In the rack! (Reason): Re-explore the lost art (and fun) of sampling. Every sample player becomes a sampler; record with a single click — further tweak with the built-in editor. (YouTube video)
- A number of other additions: Multi-core optimization, on-screen keyboard and scaling audio and MIDI clips, interface enhancements and many more too numerous to name.
The new versions of Reason and Record are available now as digital downloads through the company’s online store, and they are shipping out to retailers, as well.
Record for Reason Owners Sidegrade (includes Reason 5 upgrade) €149 / US$169
Reason 5 Upgrade from any version € 99 / $129
Record 1.5 Upgrade from any version free download
Record Reason Duo bundle €405 / $449
Reason €305 / $349
Record €279 / $299