Mythic Entertainment and Electronic Arts announced Thursday that a Mac client for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning will be released in the Fall of 2009. The massively multiplayer online Roleplaying Game (MMO), commonly called simply WAR, has been among the more successful competitors to Blizzard Entertainment's smash sensation World of Warcraft, but has heretofore been available only on Windows.
A beta version of the Mac client is available now to both existing and new customers, which means you can try it out now via a free 10-day trial account. Mac and Windows users will play with and against each other, seamlessly.
Key features of the game according to Mythic Entertainment:
- Realm vs. Realm (RvR) gameplay means you will never fight alone, but as part of an army of allied players sworn to defend your homeland and conquer enemy Realms. Your every action-every quest completed, every battle fought-contributes to the war effort and can turn the tide of battle, bringing victory to your Realm!
- Experience the camaraderie of fighting side-by-side with allied players against otherwise insurmountable odds in groundbreaking Public Quests. These cooperative PvE encounters unfold across multiple stages and allow solo players to experience the glory of RvR.
- Embark on the endless quest to complete the Tome of Knowledge and unlock Warhammer lore, detailed monster information, new abilities and rewards, and major story plotlines. The Tome is also the story of your life in the game, tracking your achievements to share and compare with others.
- Explore massive Living Cities that become more or less prosperous based on a Realm's overall performance in the ongoing war. Navigate a maze of twisting streets, visit the local tavern, explore a dark under-city, and meet colorful personalities in a city full of adventure.
- Advanced guild features give unprecedented control to leaders and members, and make guilds an integral part of the war efforts. Guilds can create unique heraldry, capture and claim keeps, and earn Guild Tactics as they grow in power along with their members.
- Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard or higher
- Intel Core Duo Processor
- 2 Gigabyte RAM
- ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM
- At least 15 GB of hard drive space for installation.
- This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems (PowerMac).
- Supported Video Cards
- ATI Radeon(TM) series
- X1600, X1900, HD 2400, HD 2600, 3870
- ATI/AMD: HD 4850, HD 4870
- NVIDIA GeForce series - 7300, 7600, 8600, 8800
- NVidia: 9400, 9600, GT120, GT130
- This game will not run on the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.
You can download the beta client at the Warhammer Online Mac site.