Erasing a CD-RW or DVD-RW
TMO Quick Tip - Erasing a CD-RW or DVD-RW
by , 7:30 AM EDT, June 21st, 2006
Every Mac made today can burn CD and CD-RW (rewritable CDs) discs, and if your Mac has a SuperDrive, you can burn DVD and DVD-RW discs, too. The problem with reusing a rewritable CD or DVD is that Apple didn't exactly make it easy to figure out.
If you want to erase a CD-RW or DVD-RW so that you can reuse it for other data, here's what to do:
- Place the CD-RW or DVD-RW you want to erase into your Mac.
- If there are any files you want to keep that are on the disc, be sure to copy them to your hard drive.
- Launch Disk Utility. It's in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
- Select the CD or DVD you want to erase in the column on the left.
- Click the Erase tab. The Quick Erase box is checked by default. Using Quick Erase to prepare the disc for reuse takes less time.
- Click the Erase button to erase the disc.
Use Disk Utility to erase rewritable CDs and DVDs.
Once a CD-RW or DVD-RW is erased, you can use it again just like a new disc. Keep in mind that rewritable discs have a limited life. It's probably not a good idea to use them for long term file archiving, and you should never erase and reuse them more than about 100 times.
if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.
- Mon, 6:22 PM
- Six-Part True Crime Drama Heading to Apple TV+
- Mon, 5:56 PM
- Hardware Engineering Leader Dan Riccio to Transition to New Role, as John Ternus Steps up
- Mon, 3:47 PM
- A First Look at ‘Palmer’, Coming to Apple TV+ February 29
- Mon, 2:42 PM
- Apple Updates Medical Device Warnings for iPhone 12 and MagSafe Magnets
- Mon, 2:30 PM
- Motorola Full HD Wi-Fi Indoor Camera, with Real-Time Alerts, 360 Degree Pan, Night Vision: $42.95
- Mon, 1:37 PM
- This is Where it Gets Sticky – TMO Daily Observations 2021-01-25
- Mon, 1:31 PM
- 'The Snoopy Show' - Launching February 5 on Apple TV+
- Mon, 11:30 AM
- There's Plenty to Watch on Apple TV+, But Hardly Anyone is Paying For it. What's The Solution?
- Mon, 10:51 AM
- Euroconsumers Sues Apple Over Planned Obsolescence
- Mon, 9:59 AM
- Apple Introduces ‘Time to Walk’ Apple Watch Fitness Feature
- Mon, 7:46 AM
- Elon Musk's SpaceX Launches 133 Spacecraft in Single Day
- Mon, 7:30 AM
- Headphone Safety, Big Sur, & Geek Challenges — Mac Geek Gab 854