Mozilla will release the Thunderbird 2.0 e-mail program later today at the primary download site. The new version adds message tagging, message history navigation, new search features and more.
Thunderbird 2 has these new features, according to the Mozilla Foundation.
1. Message Tagging - Organize emails by assigning tags like ?From Mom? or ?Weekend Projects? to easily track and search for information. Users can choose from default tags, such as Important, Personal, To-Do, Later and Work, or create their own custom tags. Users can also add as many tags as they want to a message.
2. Message History ? Thunderbird 2 offers message history navigation similar to Web browsing history navigation. Users can move backward and forward through their messages and easily browse through their message history.
3. Search - Use the find-as-you-type pane to speed up searches within displayed messages and the quick search feature, which starts showing search results as soon as users start typing in search terms. Thunderbird 2 saves users time by allowing them to store searches as folders. Rerun saved searches by clicking on the saved search folder in the folder pane.
4. Easy Access to Web Mail Services ? Thunderbird 2 users can integrate and access popular Web mail services by simply entering their user names and passwords.
5. Customization ? Users can customize Thunderbird 2 with hundreds of free add-ons that change the look, feel and functionality of Thunderbird to suit their tastes. Users can also create their own message templates to save time.
Thunderbird is a free, cross-platform, open source e-mail program that is localized into 35 languages. On Mac OS X, it is a Universal Application and requires Mac OS X 10.2.x or later.