Surviving Halloween yet again, your two favorite chocolate-fueled geeks set off on yet another episode of helping you solve your problems and learn new stuff! Deleting El Capitan's SystemMigration folder is covered, as is fixing its Wi-Fi. Mystery disk usage is solved, duplicate apps are crushed and Dave is finally able to share his full thoughts on the brand new Sonos PLAY:5. All of this and more!
MGG 577: Never Mind the Squirrel
Sponsor: Lynda.com is the place to learn software, creative, and business skills from in-depth and easy-to-follow video tutorials taught by industry experts. And get a 10-day free trial through our special MGG deal by visiting lynda.com/mgg.
Sponsor: TextExpander: The customizable typing shortcut utility - if you're not using it, you're wasting time.
Sponsor: Harry's provides guys a great shaving experience for a fraction of the price. High quality blades, shave cream and accessories shipped to your door on your schedule. Visit Harrys.com and use coupon code SHAVE5OFF to save $5 off your first purchase!
Note: Shownotes are complete!
- Día de los Muertos
- Trick-or-Treat on Safety Street Oct. 30
- FAQs about moving from the Dropcam app to the Nest app (3:49)
- Mom Takes Candy From Kids - Halloween 2015
- Nest Cam
- D-link HD Wi-Fi Camera DCS-935L (Dave's Wi-Fi Camera)
- Surveillance Station
- Dropcam and Surveillance Station
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan: The Ars Technica Review - System Integrity Protection (9:00)
- Edit your Bash profile with Text Edit (or or nano). (12:23)
- Fixing Wi-Fi Issues in OS X El Capitan (21:06)
- Fix Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite
- TP-LINK AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Archer C9)
- Mac Geek Gab Facebook Post Regarding Editing AirPort Configuration File
- Solution for apps showing up twice in Notification Center (25:32)
- mdfind man page. As a tip and example, enter kind:application in the spotlight window to search for apps or mdfind kind:application form the terminal to search for all apps
- TextWrangler Command-Line Tools Installer, use "edit" command to open and save text files.
- Run OmniDiskSweeper as root (to find all the files taking up space) (30:18)
- Find and delete the MobileBackups.trash folder
- Sonos PLAY:5 Review (47:24)
- Audioengine A5
- Find a service point nearest you, Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (1:03:32)
- Facebook discussion: Replacing an SSD on 2009 iMac (1:10:23)
- Macs Fan Control
- HDD Fan Control
- Firmware update enables 6Gbps in 2011 iMacs
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- You're downloading today's show from CacheFly's network
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
- MacGeekGab AAC Enhanced Feed - Thanks to Michael Johnston of The iOS Show and Applr.