A simple network is simple, but what happens when you need to do a little more? What are the potential pitfalls of storing Photos and iTunes libraries on your network drive? Want to make snapshots before you upgrade? All of this and more on today's Mac Geek Gab with Dave Hamilton, John F. Braun and Pilot Pete!
MGG 559: Connecting Networks Together, Photos on NAS & Upgrade Snapshots
Sponsor: Transporter is an off-cloud social storage drive for sharing, accessing and backing up your files in real time. Works with Mac, iPad, iPhone, or Windows. Use coupon code 'MGG75' for US$75 off!
Sponsor: iMazing: iMazing is the ultimate iPhone manager, it lets you take control of your music, apps, backups, contacts and more. Manage Your iPhone Simply, Get iMazing.
Sponsor: Go to Squarespace.com/mgg and click "enter an offer code" under the pricing and put in the code MGG for 10% off your first order. Also Tweet your SquareSpace-created site to @MacGeekGab with the hashtag of #squarespaceshoutout and we'll retweet it to everyone we know!
Note: Shownotes are complete!
- Asus VS248H-P LCD Monitor (2:49)
- Amazon Warehouse Deals on LCD Monitors
- OS X Yosemite: Set your display’s color profile
- OS X Yosemite: Color pane of Displays preferences
- Apple Support Communities : I can't delete color profiles
- OS X: About OS X Recovery (11:22)
- OS X: Creating a software deployment image with a recovery partition
- Caffeine (keep your Mac awake)
- pmset Man Page
- caffeinate Man Page
- OS X Server: How to prevent sleep - This will work on OS X client as well.
- How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS (16:42)
- Connecting to legacy AFP services - might relate to NAS and AFP discussion
- About Siri (24:53)
- OS X Yosemite: Bridge virtual network interfaces (34:17)
- OS X Yosemite: Change the priority of your network connections
- OS X Yosemite: Set advanced Thunderbolt options
- AirPort Utility 6.x: Set DHCP options for your base station or your AirPort Time Capsule (39:44)
- Ubiquity NanoStation M (46:20)
- If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password (50:15)
- Use Mail Connection Doctor
- Repair Home Directory Permission (1:00:45)
- Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up
- Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore
- Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue (1:06:15)
- OnyX (repairs home folder permissions, among MANY other things)
- Mac OS X: How to start up in single-user or verbose mode
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- You're downloading today's show from CacheFly's network
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
- MacGeekGab AAC Enhanced Feed - Thanks to Michael Johnston of The iOS Show and Applr.