Forum

Sharing Contacts, Bulk SMS, Calendar Tweaks, and Quick Tips - Mac Geek Gab Podcast 751  

RSS

John F. Braun
(@johnfbraun)
Admin
March 4, 2019 7:00 EDT PM  
wpf-cross-image

Note: Shownotes are complete!

Chapters/Timestamps/Stuff mentioned:

This topic was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Dave Hamilton
This topic was modified 7 months ago by John F. Braun

Mike Price
(@pricemi115)
Eminent Member
March 5, 2019 8:04 EDT AM  

Hey All:

Not trying to be a crash plan fanboy....though I am a customer, but just wanted tp provide a clarification to Mark's Crashplan comment. While I agree with KiwiGraham (I think that was who commented in the live stream) that BlackBlaze has a better (at additional cost) full restore service of sending you an external hard drive. However, the 250 MB limit from Crashplan is not fully correct. It is correct that the limit exists when downloading from the web. { https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/6/Restoring/Download_files_from_the_web}

However, if running the Crashplan App on the computer, you can download any amount of data.

Also, FWIW, this 250MB web download was *always* in place.....even when Crashplan supported peer-to-peer backups...and was presumably more well respected 😉

The reason for the 250MB limit, based on my assumption and experience, is that the restored files will be stored in a zip file  on Crashplan's servers and available for download for period of time.....less than a week, but I forget the specific time limit.

You can certainly fist-shake @ CP for what would seem like a crappy job at customer service  (& not following up) for not making this point and letting Mark know he had an alternative. Presumably Mark would have been ok with the time it takes to download all the files via the Crashplan app and using up bandwidth for this.

Anyway - just my $0.02

~mike p.

ReplyQuote
Share: