Speaking at a developers’ conference, Apple CEO Tim Cook made it clear the iPhone maker’s users simply don’t care about RCS messaging.
Google Taps New Drake Song to Urge Apple into Adopting RCS for iMessage
In a tweet, Google poked fun at Apple not using RCS for Messages by taking a sample from Drake’s new song “Texts Go Green”.
New Messaging Standard RCS Won't Have Encryption
Everyone is talking about a new messaging standard the Big Four carriers have agreed upon. It’s called RCS and it’s meant to replace SMS. But your RCS conversations won’t be end-to-end encrypted.
The CCMI neatly fixes both the first and the second problem. Garland says the carriers believe there are some implementation issues with the Universal Profile that the CCMI can address more elegantly, but it will follow the standard to ensure interoperability.
As for encryption, Garland wouldn’t commit. He emphasizes that the CCMI intends to make sure that the chats are “private” and that the app it’s making is “an experience [customers] can trust.”
Having Apple join the project would certainly legitimize RCS, but if it doesn’t have encryption I don’t think Apple will partake.
RCS Launching For UK and French Android Users This Month
Google will bring RCS messaging directly to Android users but, unlike iMessage, the service is not yet end-to-end encrypted.
- Making India Its Own Thing - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-09
- A Cold Front in Apple HR - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-15
- A Mixed-Reality and Mailbag Monday - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-13
- Mailbag Monday! Now on Friday! - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-03
- Playing the Really Oldies - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-10
- Questioning the Apple Silicon Mac Pro and Apple’s China Exit - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-02