This week we answer all your questions and queries about which router you should buy and how to go about deciding this for yourself. Standalone vs. mesh, eero vs. Orbi, 2×2 vs 4×4, we cover it all. After listening to this episode you’ll have both the information and even some deals to be able to make your choice and know you’ve got the right Wi-Fi for your home.
MGG 633: Deep Dive – How to Choose a Router in 2016?
Sponsor: PowerPhotos is the ultimate toolbox for Photos on the Mac. Merge multiple Photos libraries, eliminate duplicate photos, and more. Get 20% off with coupon code MGG.
Note: Shownotes are complete!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 633
- 00:02:12 Good timing: Apple AirPort leaves us.
- 00:04:29 Michael-Choosing a Router
- 00:06:09 Standard/Standalone Wireless Routers
- 00:17:53 Wi-Fi Pain points: Larger homes or many devices
- 00:20:08 First solution: Wireless Range Extenders (includes using router in bridge/WDS mode)
- 00:23:51 TP-Link RE350K
- 00:28:48 Second Solution: Wired Access Points
- 00:33:30 Netgear EX7300 extender
- 00:38:41 2016 Solution: Wi-Fi Mesh
- 00:38:52 Tim-What is Mesh?
- 00:47:03 Netgear’s Orbi
- 00:50:38 Observations on eero vs. Orbi
- 00:59:26 Starting the setup discussion
- 01:06:05 Sponsor: PowerPhotos from Fat Cat Software
- 01:08:47 Setup revisited
- 01:18:19 Using a mesh in bridge mode (Best of both worlds?)
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- You’re downloading today’s show from CacheFly’s network
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
- MacGeekGab AAC Enhanced Feed – Thanks to Michael Johnston of The iOS Show and Applr.