Sometimes speed is what it’s all about. Many of this week’s topics focus around making sure your Mac is running as fast as possible. That’s not all, though. Learn how to test your network from your iPhone, manage Mail plugins effectively, and recapture all those songs you added to Apple Music before they were removed. Of course, any tangents are bonus gifts from John and Dave. Press play and enjoy learning five new things!
MGG 791: Mr. MacSpeedy
Sometimes speed is what it’s all about. Many of this week’s topics focus around making sure your Mac is running as fast as possible. That’s not all, though. Learn how to test your network from your iPhone, manage Mail plugins effectively, and recapture all those...
SPONSOR: PDFPen 11 from Smile – PDFpen 11 is the ultimate tool for editing PDFs on the Mac, and it now includes split view mode for comparing pages, a font bar, Continuity Camera, and More.
Note: Shownotes are complete!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 791 for Monday, December 2, 2019
- 00:03:06 Graham-QT-New Catalina Window Zoom Functionality
- Hover over green dot to get [Enter Full Screen | Window to Left of Screen | Tile Window to Right of Screen]
- Hover over green dot and Option to get [Zoom | Move Window to Left Side of Screen | Move Window to Right Side of Screen]
- 00:04:52 Tony-QT-Use Memoji from the Mac
- Paste Memoji in shared app (such as Notes) on iOS, then copy and paste from Notes on macOS
- 00:06:48 Eric-QTR-Long-press iOS Spacebar to get Trackpad
- 00:08:03 QT-If an SMS activation code doesn’t auto-fill when received in Messages, hold down on it to Copy Code then paste
- 00:10:40 SPONSOR: ExpressVPN – To watch shows only available in other countries and find out how you can get 3 months free, go to ExpressVPN.com/MGG
- 00:13:06 SPONSOR: PDFPen 11 from Smile – PDFpen 11 is the ultimate tool for editing PDFs on the Mac, and it now includes split view mode for comparing pages, a font bar, Continuity Camera, and More.
- 00:14:53 Ben-CSF-Coros LINX and OMNI Bone-Conduction Bike Helments
- 00:17:25 Chris-CSF-History Hound
- 00:18:41 Mike-CSF-Sabrent Rocket External SSD
- 00:20:47 CSF-LaCie Mobile SSD USB-C
- 00:23:29 Bill-CSF-790-Fing and Scany
- 00:26:44 Lewis-CSF-Nice Trace & Ping NU
- 00:28:18 CSF-Tracking the Trackers
- 00:30:22 CSF-Ghostery
- 00:30:54 CSF-Kap Screen Capture
- 00:31:41 Chris-790-EnGenius ENH500 for Wi-Fi Bridging
- 00:34:06 Reinstall the Mac Geek Gab App
- 00:35:51 SPONSOR: eero: the mesh Wi-Fi system that both John and Dave currently use. Visit eero.com/mgg and enter code MGG at checkout to get FREE overnight shipping with your order!
- 00:38:06 SPONSOR: Capterra – Visit Capterra.com/MGG for free, today, and use their over one million reviews to find the tools to make an informed software decision for your business.
- 00:40:19 JFB-No Plug-Ins Listed in General | Manage Plug-ins
- 00:47:20 Luc-Screens Connect can use SSH securely
- 00:51:32 Raj-Matched tracks removed by Artist need to be re-uploaded to iCloud Music Library
- 00:55:47 One or two shows per week
- 00:58:22 Louis-Inconsistent Energy Saver Scheduling
- log show –style syslog | fgrep “powerd” > powerd.txt
- 01:07:18 Jürgen-Managing a small internal drive
- 01:14:10 A.D.D. Todd-Accessing SSD Utilities on Mac
- Running a Windows SSD utility like SanDisk SSD Dashboard in a VM only seems to work if SSD is external
- 01:19:49 Brian-Making that Mojave Virtual Machine
- Use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a disk image of your Mojave installation.
- Create a brand new VM and install a fresh Mojave into it.
- When prompted for Migration Assistant, mount the disk image from step 1 and point it there, slurping in all your data.
- 01:22:25 Rod-Vintage Mac Speed Boost
- 01:29:07 MGG 791 Outtro