Dr. Mac's Guide to Backing Up Your Mac
By Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus
Appendix A: About Me, and Why I'm an Expert on Backing Up Macs
My name is Bob LeVitus. I have written 49 popular computer books, including Mac OS X Tiger For Dummies and GarageBand For Dummies for IDG Books, The Little iTunes Book and The Little iDVD Book for Peachpit Press, Stupid Mac Tricks for Addison-Wesley, and dozens more. Believe it or not, more than a million copies of my books have been sold worldwide over the past twenty years.
I am also a columnist for the Houston Chronicle, and The Mac Observer, and have been published in a dozen or more computer magazines over the past twenty years.
In the beginning, I was editor-in-chief of MACazine, a seminal Mac publication (from '87 to '89). After that I was a contributing editor/columnist for MacUser magazine, writing the Help Folder, Beating the System, Personal Best, and Game Room columns at various times before Macworld gobbled up the remains of MacUser and spit them out.
I don't mean to bore you with my credentials-I'm merely trying to make a point: I know a lot about Macintoshes. And in the twenty years I've been using 'em, I've learned a lot about how to protect my files by backing them up properly. I've tried almost every hardware device known to man, used most of the myriad backup programs that have come and gone, and have written articles about backing up for magazines nobody even remembers anymore. I'd have to say I've probably forgotten more about backing up than most Mac users know.
And so, here we are. I had originally intended to offer this 14,000-word behemoth as a PDF, and charge users $5 or $10 for it... But The Mac Observer made me an offer I couldn't refuse. That's why you got all this information about backing up at absolutely no charge, and you can still download a PDF for your printing and viewing convenience for $3.99. So I'd like to thank Bryan and Dave for having the foresight to purchase this work and provide it to you at no charge. Thanks Bryan and Dave!
Last but not least, please, please, let me know what you did and didn't like about this article.
Buy the downloadable PDF of Dr. Mac's Guide to Backing Up Your Mac for $3.99.
Once you've finished paying for your transaction, click the "Return to Merchant" button to instantly download your PDF! Thanks for purchasing from The Mac Observer!
Table of Contents
- Sat, 2:03 PM
- Kuo Doubtful About Report of Apple Cutting iPhone 14 Order
- Fri, 5:13 PM
- TikTok Claims Strong Data Security, Still Planning to Improve It Further
- Fri, 4:35 PM
- Apple to Cut iPhone 14 Orders By 10% Despite High Demand, Sources Indicate
- Fri, 4:12 PM
- Celebrating the Anniversary of the iPhone: Looking at the Time Apple was Exclusive to AT&T
- Fri, 3:16 PM
- Steve Jobs to Posthumously Receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Fri, 2:43 PM
- Former Apple Securities Lawyer Pleads Guilty to Six Counts of Insider Trading
- Fri, 2:27 PM
- Apple Has Interviewees Think Outside of the Box, Other Tips for Landing a Job with the Company
- Fri, 2:21 PM
- Apple Suppliers Are Already Working on Second-Generation OLED iPad
- Fri, 2:11 PM
- Apple Promotes the Apple Watch Series 7 as A Durable Device in the New 'Hard Knocks' Video Ad
- Fri, 1:34 PM
- My Penultimate Column
- Thu, 4:12 PM
- Apple TV+ Unveils Trailer for New Family Comedy 'Best Foot Forward' Premiering in July
- Thu, 3:34 PM
- Apple's Issue With In-House 5G Chip May Be a Legal, Not Technical Problem