Dr. Mac's Guide to Backing Up Your Mac
By Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus
Appendix A: About Me, and Why I'm an Expert on Backing Up Macs
My name is Bob LeVitus. I have written 49 popular computer books, including Mac OS X Tiger For Dummies and GarageBand For Dummies for IDG Books, The Little iTunes Book and The Little iDVD Book for Peachpit Press, Stupid Mac Tricks for Addison-Wesley, and dozens more. Believe it or not, more than a million copies of my books have been sold worldwide over the past twenty years.
I am also a columnist for the Houston Chronicle, and The Mac Observer, and have been published in a dozen or more computer magazines over the past twenty years.
In the beginning, I was editor-in-chief of MACazine, a seminal Mac publication (from '87 to '89). After that I was a contributing editor/columnist for MacUser magazine, writing the Help Folder, Beating the System, Personal Best, and Game Room columns at various times before Macworld gobbled up the remains of MacUser and spit them out.
I don't mean to bore you with my credentials-I'm merely trying to make a point: I know a lot about Macintoshes. And in the twenty years I've been using 'em, I've learned a lot about how to protect my files by backing them up properly. I've tried almost every hardware device known to man, used most of the myriad backup programs that have come and gone, and have written articles about backing up for magazines nobody even remembers anymore. I'd have to say I've probably forgotten more about backing up than most Mac users know.
And so, here we are. I had originally intended to offer this 14,000-word behemoth as a PDF, and charge users $5 or $10 for it... But The Mac Observer made me an offer I couldn't refuse. That's why you got all this information about backing up at absolutely no charge, and you can still download a PDF for your printing and viewing convenience for $3.99. So I'd like to thank Bryan and Dave for having the foresight to purchase this work and provide it to you at no charge. Thanks Bryan and Dave!
Last but not least, please, please, let me know what you did and didn't like about this article.
Buy the downloadable PDF of Dr. Mac's Guide to Backing Up Your Mac for $3.99.
Once you've finished paying for your transaction, click the "Return to Merchant" button to instantly download your PDF! Thanks for purchasing from The Mac Observer!
Table of Contents
- Wed,5:50 PM
- Hit List 2.0 Task Manager Checks Off Syncing, iPhone 6 Interface
- 5:44 PM
- ACM 285: Apple’s iPod Lawsuit Victory and Tag Heuer’s Smart Watch Plans
- 5:20 PM
- STM Harbour iPhone 6 Case is Colorful, Lightweight and Inexpensive
- 5:16 PM
- Register for TMO’s Apple Watch Giveaway
- 4:15 PM
- Apple Pay: a List of Brick-and-Mortar Stores That Accept it
- 1:13 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-12-17
- 11:32 AM
- Netflix Says Offline iPad Viewing Not Going to Happen
- 9:48 AM
- Falling Ruble Ruins iPhone Christmas in Russia
- 8:50 AM
- Pages: Adding and Formatting Links within Text
- Tue,8:56 PM
- TAG Heuer Announces Plans for Mechanical Smartwatch
- 5:12 PM
- Track Sports and Fitness Jumping on Your iPhone with VERT
- 3:46 PM
- Lifetime Access To Over 5,000 Adobe Authorized Training Videos for $79