wpf-cross-image

Note: Shownotes are complete!

Chapters/Timestamps/Stuff mentioned:

This topic was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Dave Hamilton
This topic was modified 8 months ago by John F. Braun

DoItForMe.Solutions
(@doitforme-solutions)
February 20, 2019 2:30 EDT AM  

Brief mention of challenge of having network devices in a college dorm room.

I would think you can use the same clever workaround/hack I use when traveling in some hotels:

I bring a compact travel router with me (like TP-Link AC750) and setup my own network.  Most travel routers can "clone MAC address" so you just login initially with a laptop or iPhone and get through the hotspot/billing page and then clone the address if necessary.

I use it for two reasons - bypassing the hotels that want to charge a per device fee or if they have a low limit (like only 3 devices), and for connecting devices such as AppleTV or Amazon Echo Tap that don't work well (or at all) with hot spot authentication pages.

I also set the travel router to the same SSID as our home network.  This saves personal 'tech support' for my wife or family members as they just connect as easily as at home.

Sure, it may be a double-NAT configuration, but almost all the time it doesn't make any difference at all in throughput or access.

ReplyQuote
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
February 20, 2019 10:52 EDT PM  

Oh, very good thinking. Cloning the MAC would almost certainly work in that scenario. I like it! We'll share in the show.

ReplyQuote
Share: