The Mesh Wi-Fi Industrial Complex – Mac Geek Gab 749

Subscribe to the MGG Weekly Episode Newsletter

[mc4wp_form id="67379"]

Wanna know how to force Safari to download a media file instead of playing it? Want to know how to use the same drive on USB-C and USB-A Macs? Want to know how to secure erase your NAS drive? John and Dave have your answers! There is also a lot of concern about the future of eero, so your two geeks discuss that, too. All this and more, just press play and enjoy learning at least five new things!

Get In Touch:

Sponsors

SPONSOR: Capterra – Visit Capterra.com/MGG for free, today, to find the right tools to make 2019 the year for your business.

SPONSOR: Hair Club. Visit HairClub.com/MGG today for a free hair analysis AND a free take home hair care kit – all valued over three hundred dollars.

SPONSOR: Jamf Now. MGG listeners can start securing their business today by managing their first 3 devices for free! Add more starting at just two dollars a month, per device. Create your free account today at jamf.com/MGG

Show Notes

Note: Shownotes are complete!

Chapters/Timestamps/Stuff mentioned:

2 thoughts on “The Mesh Wi-Fi Industrial Complex – Mac Geek Gab 749

• Brief mention of challenge of having network devices in a college dorm room.I would think you can use the same clever workaround/hack I use when traveling in some hotels:I bring a compact travel router with me (like TP-Link AC750) and setup my own network.  Most travel routers can “clone MAC address” so you just login initially with a laptop or iPhone and get through the hotspot/billing page and then clone the address if necessary.I use it for two reasons – bypassing the hotels that want to charge a per device fee or if they have a low limit (like only 3 devices), and for connecting devices such as AppleTV or Amazon Echo Tap that don’t work well (or at all) with hot spot authentication pages.I also set the travel router to the same SSID as our home network.  This saves personal ‘tech support’ for my wife or family members as they just connect as easily as at home.Sure, it may be a double-NAT configuration, but almost all the time it doesn’t make any difference at all in throughput or access.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.