Considering migrating to a new Mac? How about thinking of a new Cable Modem? What about managing Wi-Fi speeds with lots of Apple devices which share their Wi-Fi networks via iCloud? Your fellow MGG listeners had those questions until they asked here and your two favorite geeks answered! Listen to John and Dave discuss all of this and more, including sharing some tips from you, too!
MGG 629: Not All USB-C Is Created Equal
Note: Show notes are complete!
- macOS Sierra (1:21)
- Roaring Apps macOS Compatibility List
- Nuke and Pave or Do it the Hard Way? (4:10)
- Move your content to a new Mac
- Clean My Mac
- Mail for Mac: Import or export mailboxes (8:36)
- Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad (15:29)
- Apple Special Event, October 2016 (19:01)
- Apple unveils new TV app for Apple TV, iPhone and iPad (19:20)
- Here’s What You Need to Know About USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 (23:35)
- BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Cable
- Connect with Thunderbolt 3 on your late-2016 MacBook Pro (29:00)
- iStat Menus (36:02)
- DOCSIS 3.1 (42:11)
- What is DOCSIS 3.1?
- Motorola 7420
- Surfboard SB6900-AC
- NETGEAR C7000
- Debookee Tools (57:15)
- macOS Sierra: Choose preferred Wi-Fi networks (1:08:15)
- Amazon Echo Dot (1:12:13)
- SYN Flood – DDoS Attack Glossary (1:16:33)
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- You’re downloading today’s show from CacheFly’s network
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
- MacGeekGab AAC Enhanced Feed – Thanks to Michael Johnston of The iOS Show and Applr.
00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 629
00:01:21 Chuck-Is Sierra Safe Yet?
00:04:10 Mike-Nuke and Pave or Migrate?
00:08:36 Aaron-Migrating Mail to new Mac
00:15:29 Jon-Touch ID External Keyboard
00:19:01 Discussion about new MacBook Pros and Apple’s Thursday event
00:19:20 Apple’s new TV app
00:23:35 USB-C is just port shape!
00:28:22 Thinness is next to… what?
00:29:00 Not all USB-C Is Created Equal
00:30:47 Still a confusing lineup
00:33:34 SPONSOR: Gazelle
00:36:02 Joe-My Mac Pro’s Fans Sound like a Jet Engine
00:42:11 John-Time for a DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem?
00:55:28 A good note about Comcast
00:57:15 John-Managing Wi-Fi Speeds
01:08:15 Andrew-Managing Networks and Watches
01:16:33 Scott-628-DDoS and SYN packets
01:12:13 Paul-Amazon’s Alexa stores your Wifi Password