Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Mon, 4:20 PM
- Spending a Week With the Apple Watch SE: Should You Get it Over the Series 8?
- Mon, 4:13 PM
- Apple Pay Later Service May Come Later, in Spring 2023
- Mon, 2:59 PM
- With James Earl Jones Retiring, Voice of Sith Lord Darth Vader to Live On Through AI
- Mon, 2:09 PM
- Sales Skew Huge for iPhone 14 Pro and a Surprise Super Bowl Halftime Headliner -
- Mon, 1:24 PM
- Report Suggests Apple May Unveil New 2022 Macs and iPad Pro Models Through Press Releases, Not an October Event
- Mon, 1:18 PM
- Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrel Team-Up with Octavia Spencer For Christmas Musical 'Spirited' Arriving to Apple TV+
- Mon, 12:24 PM
- Apple Begins Fully Manufacturing iPhone 14 Models in India
- Mon, 12:11 PM
- YouTuber Breaks Table Before Breaking the New Apple Watch Ultra in Durability Test
- Mon, 12:10 PM
- Report: As Demand for iPhone 14 Pro Rises, Apple Might Break Its Global Average Selling Price
- Mon, 11:37 AM
- Rihanna Will Headline Apple Music's First NFL Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Mon, 3:00 AM
- The Super Bowl Halftime Magic Show - TMO Daily Observations 2022-09-26
- Fri, 3:39 PM
- Apple TV+ Lands Two-Season Order for 'Better Call Saul' Co-Creator Vince Gilligan's New Series