Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Fri, 3:46 PM
- EU Looking to Force Apple to Give Developers Access to All Software and Hardware Features
- Fri, 2:47 PM
- Apple Music's 'Essential Anniversaries' Explores Radiohead's Famous 'OK Computer'
- Fri, 2:00 PM
- 'WandaVision' Director Matt Shakman Set to Direct Godzilla Series for Apple TV+
- Fri, 1:24 PM
- iPhone OLED Manufacturer BOE Gets Put in Time-Out for Changing Panel Designs
- Fri, 10:06 AM
- T-Mobile iPhone Users Plagued by iMessage Deactivation Due to eSim Bug
- Fri, 8:55 AM
- Apple Stops Accepting Card Payments in India Due to New Banking Regulations
- Fri, 8:47 AM
- Apple Music Integration Will Be Available Into the Infotainment System of Select Audi Models
- Thu, 4:52 PM
- Review: Anker 622 Magnetic Battery (MagGo)
- Thu, 4:49 PM
- These 5 Tips Will Help You Maximize Your FaceTime Call
- Thu, 3:10 PM
- Apple Receives Second Union-Busting Charge, This Time at World Trade Center Store
- Thu, 2:58 PM
- Apple Shows Mixed Reality Headset to Board, Edging Closer to Launch
- Thu, 1:45 PM
- Apple TV+ Announces Premiere Date for Season Three of 'Trying'