Dr. Matt Stanley is a teacher and researcher in the history and philosophy of science. He holds degrees in astronomy, religion, physics, and the history of science and is interested in the connections between science and the wider culture. His Ph.D. is from Harvard in the history of science, and he is currently a professor at New York University.
We chatted about how Matt came to be immersed in physics as well as the history of science and religion. He found that a proper modern perpective depends on an understanding of how science evolved throughout history. We also briefly touched on how science and religion don’t really contradict each other. Matt told me about a very interesting class he teaches, his podcast “What the If,” and his new book EINSTEIN’S WAR: How Relativity Conquered the World.
TMO Background Mode Interview with Science Historian Dr. Matthew Stanley
Dr. Matt Stanley is a teacher and researcher in the history and philosophy of science. He holds degrees in astronomy, religion, physics, and the history of science and is interested in the connections between science and the wider culture. His Ph.D. is from Harvard in...
Today our sponsor is Keeps.
Losing hair is not good. And 2 out of 3 guys will experience hair loss by the time they’re 35. I want to introduce you to Keeps – the easiest and most affordable way to keep the hair you have.
These FDA approved products used to cost so much, but now… thanks to Keeps, they’re finally inexpensive and easy to get. Starting at just $10 per month, you’ll never have to worry about hair loss again. Key advantages are:
1. Getting started with Keeps is so easy! Sign up takes less than 5 minutes in the privacy of your home. Just answer a few questions and snap some photos of your hair.
2. A licensed physician will review your information online and recommend the right treatment for you, then it’s shipped right to your door every three months.
3. Keeps offers generic versions of the ONLY two FDA approved hair loss products out there — some of you have probably tried them before — but you’ve probably never gotten them for this price.
4. Keeps is only $10 to $35 a month – plus now you can get your first month FREE. That’s a good deal for getting to keep your hair.
To receive your first month treatment for free, go to Keeps.com/BGM.
My Background Mode interview with Dr. Matthew Stanley
- Matt’s email.
- Matts’s faculty page at NYU.
- Philip Shane and Matt Stanley host: What the If, a podcast
- Matt’s new book (May 23, 2019): EINSTEIN’S WAR: How Relativity Conquered the World.
- Support TMO when you buy your Apple gear from Apple.
- The story of my Background Mode podcast.
- TMO Background Mode Twitter feed.
- Archive of all Background Mode Shows.
- Background Mode at iTunes.
- Send your comments to [email protected] or [email protected]