TMO Background Mode Interview with Amateur Astronomer Mike Weasner
Mike Weasner is a noted amateur astronomer, known for his book on the Meade ETX telescopes, early iPhone astrophotography and work with the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) in Arizona. Very early in life, Mike fell in love with astronomy, and that led to a B.S. in astrophysics. Via ROTC, Mike later joined the United States Air Force, where he served as a fighter pilot (A-7D), instructor (T-38), and a manager in the Air Force’s Space Shuttle Program Office. After his USAF duty, Mike spent 23 years as a program manager with TRW/Northrop Grumman. We chatted about his Air Force days and some interesting flight experiences. In the second segment, we talked about the construction of his observatory, evolution of his telescopes, astrophotography of asteroids, supernovae patrol and his work with the IDA.
My Background Mode interview with Mike Weasner
- Mike on Twitter.
- Mike's Website.
- Mike's bio.
- Mike's Cassiopeia Observatory.
- The LTV A-7D jet fighter.
- Book: Using the Meade ETX (telescope).
- Discussed: The Sky Shed POD telescope dome.
- International Dark-Sky Association.
- Support TMO when you buy your Apple gear from Apple.
- The story of my Background Mode podcast.
- TMO Background Mode Twitter feed.
- Archive of all Background Mode Shows.
- Background Mode at iTunes.
- Send your comments to [email protected] or [email protected] [caption id="attachment_44431" align="alignleft" width="1200"] Mike in his SkyShed POD observatory[/caption]