Apple lets you go into iOS settings and change your default search engine. But Google is still the default engine when you search via Spotlight.
The DuckDuckGo Smarter Encryption feature will automatically give you the encrypted HTTPS version of websites as they are available.
It’s available on DuckDuckGo’s mobile browser for Android and iOS, and through the company’s desktop browser extension for Firefox and Chrome. DuckDuckGo is also open sourcing the code behind the feature so other sites and platforms can adopt it as well. First up? Pinterest.
I especially like how they’re open-sourcing it for others to use.
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials is a Safari extension that blocks trackers and provides a privacy dashboard for each website you visit.
A recent survey (n=1,114) by DuckDuckGo found that 79.2% of U.S. adults had taken privacy measures in the past year, like adjusting privacy settings on social media or just using social media less.
43.1% (± 2.9) removed personal information or posts that they didn’t want the network or others to see.
35.0% (± 2.8)made their profile completely private.
34.8% (± 2.8) stopped adding location tags to their posts.
38.2% (± 2.8) changed which data they allow the network to collect and share about them.
I think it’s great to see more people paying attention to their privacy. For most people, privacy is something that you don’t notice often until you start losing it.
The DuckDuckGo Apple Maps integration has been updated for enhanced search, like maps re-querying, local autocomplete, and more.
I was happy to see the integration and look forward to these updates. Apple is a good partnership for DuckDuckGo.
Kelly Guimont has Andrew Orr and John Martellaro on to discuss updates to the DuckDuckGo iOS app, and the current(c) state of NFC payments.
In DuckDuckGo’s app it has a button to clear your tabs and history. In DuckDuckGo version 7.15.0 it added an option to clear it away automatically the next time the app restarts. It also added keyboard shortcuts for iPad users.
• You can now have your tabs and data cleared automatically. Go to settings to configure this feature.
• Support for external keyboards with a range of shortcuts. See the full list below.
• Support for international and emoji based URLs
• Bug fixes and improvements
• Cmd-T or Cmd-N to open a new tab
• Cmd-W to close tab
• Shift-Cmd-] and Shift-Cmd-[ or Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab to move to the next/previous tab
• Ctrl-Shift-\ or Cmd-Shift-\ to show all tabs
• Esc to cancel typing in the address bar OR close the tab switcher OR close the suggestions
• Enter to select the current tab and close the tab switcher
• Cmd-[ and Cmd-] or Cmd-Right Arrow and Cmd-Left Arrow to move back/forward
• Alt-Cmd-F to edit address field
• Up/Down Arrow to navigate auto complete suggestions and tabs in the tab-switcher
• Cmd-Alt-Backspace to quickly delete all your tabs and data
Private search provider DuckDuckGo announced it will use Apple Maps to power location-based searches.
In a Whonix forum a person alleged that DuckDuckGo was using browser fingerprinting techniques to track people. The search engine denies the claim however.
“Fingerprinting-detection libraries unfortunately create false positives because they don’t anticipate good actors using some browser APIs for non-nefarious purposes for which they were designed. We know this not only because we’re falsely identified here (and have been elsewhere) but because we are building this type of detection into our mobile app and browser extension and don’t similarly want to make false claims.”
DuckDuckGo CEO Gabe Weinberg said an API they use to determine the size of the browser might be triggering the fingerprinting flag.
Andrew Orr and Dave Hamilton join Jeff Gamet to look at Apple’s second fiscal quarter earnings, plus Andrew tips us off to some alternatives to Safari on the iPhone and iPad.
iOS browsers use the same rendering engine as Safari, but they also come with other features.
John Martellaro and Andrew Orr join Jeff Gamet to share some tips on improving your online privacy in Mobile Safari, plus they look at HomePod’s place as a HomeKit hub.