Want to add money to your Apple Pay Cash account, or change the card it uses for payments? Read on to learn how to do both.
Apple Pay Cash is Apple’s new electronic payment system introduced in iOS 11.2. You can use it to send and receive money in the Messages app. The service links to your bank debit card to cover charges that exceed whatever is in your Apple Pay Cash account. During beta testing, you could link a credit card, too, but that quickly changed to only allow the use of debit cards.
Add Money to Apple Pay Cash Account
You can load money into your Apple Cash account to use for payments when sending money in the Messages app.
Time needed: 1 minute
Here’s how to add money to your Apple Cash account.
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone, or go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay on your iPad.
- Tap your Apple Cash card. iPhone users need to tap the Info button after tapping on their card.
- Choose Add Money.
- Choose how much money you want to add to your card. The minimum amount is $10.
- Tap Add and authenticate the transaction.
How to Change the Bank Card Linked to Apple Cash
If there isn’t enough money in your Apple Cash account to cover a transaction, your bank card kicks in to cover the rest. Here’s how to see, and change, which bank card is linked to your Apple Pay Cash card:
- Start as if you’re adding money to your Apple Cash card.
- After you set an amount to add to your card, tap Add.
- Now you’ll see which cards are available to supplement your Apple Cash card. If the card shown isn’t the one you want to use, tap it to see a list of available cards.
- Select the card you want to use from the cards linked to your Apple Pay account.
- Tap Back.
Just because you have more than one card linked to Apple Pay doesn’t mean you can use any of them with Apple Cash. Sometimes a debit card may show up as a valid Apple Cash option, but none of your credit cards will. You’ll also notice that your Apple Store gift balance may not be an option, as it shows up as a different account in Wallet. So, it looks like buying gift cards at a discount to get free money is right out of the question. You can also transfer money from Apple Cash to your bank account or debit card.
Want to learn more about setting up and using Apple Pay Cash? Check out TMO’s in-depth how-to.