Until October 14, 1947, no human had piloted an aircraft faster than the speed of sound in level flight. At the time, some believed that it was a true barrier, hence the name, making it technically impossible. Others thought it might be possible, but aerodynamic forces would quickly break up the aircraft. And then, Chuck Yeager proved them wrong in the rocket propelled Bell X-1 on that glorious October day. (Jet engines were not yet powerful enough.) We learned a lot about supersonic flight in the coming years: the “area rule” concept, the advantages of a swept wing, and the all-flying tail. Here’s a very cool story of how it all happened by Popular Mechanics, a reprint from a 40th anniversary article. (Image credit: NASA)
Our deal on KlickR is coming to an end in a few days. This device serves as a go-between between for your iPhone and any device with an infrared receiver. Put it onto or next to the receiver and you’ll be able to control it from the companion app on your iPhone or Android device. You can also use voice controls, designate rooms and multiple devices (if you have multiple KlikRs), and more. It’s the kind of device that helps bridge legacy electronics with the Internet of Things, and we have a deal on KlikR for $19.99.
Wait times for Apple’s iPhone 7 Plus remain at 3-4 weeks or 3-5 weeks, with none showing less than 3 weeks as of this writing. Almost 7 weeks after the initial ship date, that’s an unusual delay for Apple, and the question is why.
- 'Everyone But Jon Hamm' is The Best Apple TV+ Advert Yet
- Tripp Mickle's Book 'After Steve' Covers Apple's Rise to Trillions
- Revealed: The Full Voicemail Message Jon Hamm Left For Tom Hanks
- 'PDF Expert' for iOS Lets You Convert PDFs to Word, More
- Apple Releases 'Unity Lights' Watch Face for Black History Month
- ProtonMail 1.15.11 Update Fixes Bugs With Push Notifications
Apple CEO Tim Cook sent a company-wide email to employees Wednesday evening encouraging them to “move forward.” While he didn’t name President Elect Donald Trump or his defeated rival, Hillary Clinton, by name, the theme of the email was that the election shouldn’t divide employees.
The recent botnet attacks have called into question the security of all our various internet of Things (ioT) devices, and rightfully so. One of the regular chimes I hear in our Apple-centric universe is, “HomeKit is secure, it must be the answer.” Unfortunately, HomeKit is only built to secure HomeKit, not everything. More must be done.
We have a deal for you today on a 3-pack of 6.5-foot MFi-certified Lightning cables. You can get them through us for $21.99.
- iPhone 14 Plus Fails at Failing - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-22
- Playing the Really Oldies - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-10
- A Mixed-Reality and Mailbag Monday - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-13
- Counting and Ditching iPhones - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-21
- A Cold Front in Apple HR - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-15
- Mixed Feelings on Apple's MR Headset - TMO Daily Observations 2023-03-27
Apple began offering refurbished iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus devices on the Apple Store Tuesday. Refurbished iPhone 6s models start at US$449 with 16GB of storage, while 16GB iPhone 6s Plus models start at $529. 64GB iPhone 6s Plus are currently priced at $589.