Extensions & MacLink

• Posted: 27 June 2001 07:09 PM

[Apologies for throwing in something that is probably trivial but as a Linux and Windoze user… argh…ok. I am trying to help someone out. Have searched everywhere I can think of, and am now pulling my hair out]

Problem: upgraded AppleWorks from 6.0.4 to 6.1.2 to get the MacLink that comes with the upgrade. All seemed to install (though I didn’t do this bit) it says it is 6.1.2.

Made sure the MacLink for AppleWorks is in the extensions directory. Restarted computer. But still doesn’t have translators. Checked Extensions Manager doesn’t appear in any guise to even switch it on.

Thought it was supposed to add any extensions in the dir automatically?

System: iMac OS9

Cheers for any help (and not shooting me down…)

Kester

• Posted: 20 June 2001 11:44 AM #1

No problem, we are here to help you!

Try this: get that file out of the directory and drop it on the System Folder itself.  OS 9 and before will automatically recognize Control Panels and Extensions, and it will ask you whether to put them in the appropriate folder.

Also, extensions are loaded at boot time, you may need to restart your computer if the system folder places it for you.

Let me know if this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Retro on 2001-06-20 14:47 ]</font>

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 10:37 AM #2

Use Sherlock to locate the missing extension. Type in ‘MacLink’ and search. If it’s not present anywhere, you need to re-install the update. It always helps to rebuild the desktop file after an installation .

Signature

‘The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the state.’  -Tacitus

Posted: 27 June 2001 07:09 PM #3

...and to follow up, the desktop can be rebuilt with either Command and Option being held down as the computer restarts (hold them down until it asks if you want to rebuild the desktop), or by using a utility like TechTool to do it.

I prefer TechTool since it deletes the files and forces them to be rebuilt, thereby eliminating the risk of preserving corrupted desktop files.

-Dave

How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is, after all, so poorly lit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave on 2001-06-27 22:10 ]</font>

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.