Nikon Red Oversaturation

Posted: 23 January 2002 06:37 AM

So, I had gotten this Nikon 885 Coolpix camera right before MACWORLD.  I really liked the camera, but there was a major problem with the red being oversaturated.  Doing a bit of research, I found that this is a common complaint. I took it back while I could still get my money back, but I would really like to have a Nikon.  Has anyone else had this problem with the high-end consumer Nikon digital cameras?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 22 January 2002 08:45 PM #1

It may be related to Nikon’s coatings on their CCDs. With the D1, there are always a few guaranteed color corections that are needed. The blues have too much magenta so they tend to look purple, the yellows have too much green in them and the reds need to be adjusted down a bit. Regardless of exposure or color temperature setting.

How bad is your red shift?
    -Dan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Photodan on 2002-01-23 00:46 ]</font>

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 22 January 2002 10:00 PM #2

Almost every image needed to be corrected in Photoshop, which was a pain when dealing with the quantities of images we had at MACWORLD.  The optics of the camera were great, and the image quality rocked, other than this red-issue.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 22 January 2002 10:16 PM #3

Photoshop has a batch process command that you could use if you set up a custom color correction process with the Actions palette.

I agree, it is a pain, but at least it’s more consistent for color than the 16-year-old that runs the machine at the local photofinisher.

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 23 January 2002 04:30 AM #4

On 2002-01-23 00:31, Bryan wrote:
    So, I had gotten this Nikon 885 Coolpix camera right before MACWORLD.  I really liked the camera, but there was a major problem with the red being oversaturated.  Doing a bit of research, I found that this is a common complaint.

(WARNING: ASTROGEEK JOKE AHEAD)

Maybe you could just run toward your subject very very quickly to shift it to the blue.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 23 January 2002 06:37 AM #5

How dare you remind me of Physics, tbone!  I shall stick with Photoshop any day.

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer