Apple TV Experiences (Includes Set-Up Help)

• Posted: 23 March 2007 11:36 PM #16

Re: Thought of it ..... we’re doing it !

[quote author=“Gtrplyr”]Eating B-fast with the family ... listening to music ... watching our pictures .... I am sitting here dreaming of other uses .... I can see a time in the not so distant future where we can upload pics or movies to our .mac account ... my folks, a few thousand miles away, can click on a button and view a video I just took on their big screen tv .....  or view my photo gallery .... or ????? 

I have a feeling the next few weeks will bring some interesting announcements from Apple ....  streaming youtube videos anyone ??? 

Instead of podcasts being only audio ...here come the videocasts ..... 

-PD LOL

Gtrplyr, welcome to the Apple Finance Board forum. smile

I’m quite familiar with the Burbank area. It’s good to have another Southlander in the community. I was at the Glendale store opening day in 2001. I still have a couple of the old T-shirts (in very worn condition) given away somewhere in the closets.

I like the functionality you’ve described. As this product rolls out it should provide an nice foundation for the share price in the low 90’s.

Posted: 23 March 2007 11:42 PM #17

Re: Thought of it ..... we’re doing it !

[quote author=“Gtrplyr”]

Instead of podcasts being only audio ...here come the videocasts ..... 

-PD LOL

There have been video podcasts in the iTunes Store podcast directory for quite a while—a year? I subscribe to several.

• Posted: 24 March 2007 05:33 AM #18

Well I was not planning on buying ATV until I read the first post here.  I ran to my local Apple Store and picked one up.  The store rep said he personally had sold 5 in one hour, so they are selling well.

The longest part of setting up was attaching my HDMI cable since my 50” Plasma is on the wall and I had to move some furniture to get to the plug.

Accessing my iTunes music is just awesome.  I just wish I could have better sound quality.

The trailers were also very cool to watch.

The best part is by far viewing photos. It will take quite a while to download my 7000 pics library.  One will have to manage the albums in iPhoto better in order to enjoy ATV. It is the only way to navigate the library efficently. 

I have yet to figure out how to enjoy music with the slideshows.

Overall a good first experience, but I anticipate multiple upgrades to software to improve and add many features.

Posted: 24 March 2007 06:21 AM #19

[quote author=“Ovi”]

Try creating a slideshow in iPhoto and importing it.

• Posted: 24 March 2007 08:09 AM #20

As usual, great article by TMO’s John Martellaro:

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/7iMngrGxVA79ls/What-the-Naysayers-Are-Missing-on-Apple-TV.xhtml

• Posted: 24 March 2007 09:44 AM #21

[quote author=“gslusher”][quote author=“Ovi”]

did not and it still does not play the music

also I am unable to watch my homevideos.
    update;

I did get the slides show to play music.  one must add the actual music to ATV, streaming it from iTunes is not enough to play the slideshows with music.

Still trying to figure out how to import homevideos to ATV

Posted: 24 March 2007 10:47 AM #22

[quote author=“Ovi”]Still trying to figure out how to import homevideos to ATV

Export them from Quicktime using the new “Export to AppleTV settings”, which will be there if you updated iTunes/Quitcktime in the last week or two smile

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

• Posted: 24 March 2007 10:51 AM #23

Please keep the comments and advice flowing in this topic. It will be a big help to members and guests who have purchased an Apple TV. Thank you to our members who are offering assistance on set-up and use of this new product. smile

Posted: 24 March 2007 11:01 AM #24

[quote author=“Ovi”][quote author=“gslusher”][quote author=“Ovi”]

did not and it still does not play the music

also I am unable to watch my homevideos.
    update;

I did get the slides show to play music.  one must add the actual music to ATV, streaming it from iTunes is not enough to play the slideshows with music.

Still trying to figure out how to import homevideos to ATV

I’m glad that you got the slideshow to work correctly.

As for home movies, there are maybe lebenty-seven million formats, codecs, etc., for videos. You’ll have to convert your home movies into the right format. I use two applications to do that, QuickTime Pro ($29.99) and VisualHub ($23.32). Check out their web pages to see which would fit your needs. VisualHub is cheaper, especially considering that it will convert .wmv files without having to pay for the Flip4Mac upgrade. It also does batch processing, so you could load up a bunch of movies, start it, and wait—and wait—and wait. The process can be slow, but, if you’ve used iMovie to save as QuickTime or, worse, used iDVD to render an iMovie project to DVD, you already know that.

Posted: 24 March 2007 02:49 PM #25

I don’t have aTV yet but if Front Row is a telling of “how to” you can store videos in any QuickTime compatible format and just drop them to the Movies folder.

You can even store the vids in an external hard disk and leave aliases pointing to them in the Movies folder, just to save internal disk space for movie editing, or DVD burning (no longer necesary if you have aTV unless you are giving copies to your relatives, though)

Anyone having his/her aTV already arrived would try it to add to experiences?

Posted: 24 March 2007 07:54 PM #26

[quote author=“carbonat”]I don’t have aTV yet but if Front Row is a telling of “how to” you can store videos in any QuickTime compatible format and just drop them to the Movies folder.

You can even store the vids in an external hard disk and leave aliases pointing to them in the Movies folder, just to save internal disk space for movie editing, or DVD burning (no longer necesary if you have aTV unless you are giving copies to your relatives, though)

Anyone having his/her aTV already arrived would try it to add to experiences?

That doesn’t work. The Apple TV syncs with (or streams from) the iTunes and iPhoto libraries. It may be clearer to think of the Apple TV as an iPod with a TV attached, as David Pogue says in his review. You may have to convert the videos into the Apple TV format (read earlier messages for more on that) and put them in the iTunes library (easy enough to do—use command-O or simply drag and drop the video on the iTunes window). Photos are synched (not streamed) from the iPhoto library.

• Posted: 24 March 2007 09:30 PM #27

More Apple Tv Thoughts

Day 2 and I have to say this thing has really changed our lives ....  We (the family)have been listening to more music .... we’ve also rediscovered lots of pictures that were stored away on hard drives ... or in boxes somewhere ... now they are right there on our TV ....  I really can’t emphasize enough how much the family is loving this thing !!! 

I really hope Apple does address this use .... I really feel it alone (photos and itunes) would justify the price ....  I realize this can all be done without the Apple Tv ... BUT not this easily !  I took about 5 minutes .. created a folder on iPhoto of the kids.. ... picked out some music on iTunes ... BANG instant slide show .....  WOW !!! 

I have a feeling the video part of the equation will start to sort it out in the next few weeks ... I called Apple Tech support with a couple of questions ... they seemed a little clueless   :bugeyed:  I hope they get them some training ASAP ! 

Lots of people on the net seem to be really in the dark when it comes to ripping DVDs .... myself included ... I’m thinking it was the same way when the iPod was released .... I really think the Movie industry needs to wise up and realize that no matter how hard they protest ... this is the future ....  as soon as they do .. Apple can update itunes to rip DVD’s and then it will get really interesting . 

I’m really wondering why we have yet to see any ads for Apple TV yet ???  I’m assuming it’s becuase wasn’t really available unitl late last week .... hope we’ll start seeing something soon.

-Gtrplyr

Posted: 25 March 2007 12:05 AM #28

I’ve read so many reviews and stories about the Apple TV in the last few days that I can’t keep them straight. I think that it this idea came from David Pogue—if not, then credit should go to whomever wrote it.

Too many people have focussed on what the Apple TV doesn’t have—DVR, DVD player, etc.—and not on what it really is. It’s not a computer nor the hub of your entertainment system. (On the other hand, you can use a Mac Mini to do that.)

The Apple TV is an iPod with a REALLY BIG SCREEN. It’s the “family-size” iPod. If you think of it that way, it makes perfect sense and the price is about right, too.

• Posted: 25 March 2007 10:35 AM #29

An iPod with a really big screen?  LOL

That’s one way to look at it. How does it best integrate with home entertainment?

Posted: 26 March 2007 04:41 AM #30

Just arrived 30 mins ago. Was working out of the box within minutes, flawlessly streaming music and video over my 802.11g network without a single dropped frame, even while my home network is extremely busy streaming to 4 data screens and downloading stuff off the net. I’m very impressed so far, and most so by the sheer speed and responsiveness of all the controls. Fast forwarding through video is almost as fast and instantaneous as it is on a DVD and HD movie trailers load in a snap. The unit itself exhibits no delay or lag whatsoever, and is a delight to use. They’ve really nailed this. Having initially set it up just to stream content so I could play with it straight away, I’m now syncing it which will take quite some time. More later after I’ve played around with it this evening smile

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”