Apple Announces iChat, AIM-Compatible IM

Poll: iChat: Would you use it?
Total Votes: 30
You betcha!
No way, Adium/Fire/AIM/ICQ/IRC/CLI’s Talk ROCK!
Humbug! Chatting is for people who like to waste time!
Isn’t this the kind of thing that got Microsoft in trouble?

Posted: 07 May 2002 12:49 AM #16

If the bubbles can be turned off, and if iChat itself can be turned off, I will be happier.  If iChat itself can not be turned off, I will rant and rage about Apple pulling a Microsoft.

We’ll have to wait and see how this works out, of course.  grin

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 07 May 2002 12:58 AM #17

[quote author=“Bryan”]If the bubbles can be turned off, and if iChat itself can be turned off, I will be happier.  If iChat itself can not be turned off, I will rant and rage about Apple pulling a Microsoft.

Come on, Bryan, tell us what you really think. LOL

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

• Posted: 07 May 2002 04:20 AM #18

:santagrin: I will use it if it is better then the alternatives.  There are some really good clients already but none of them have my complete satisfaction, I am hoping that apple will deliver.  I love all the other Apps that apple has made for consumers and pros.

• Posted: 07 May 2002 04:38 AM #19

Probably won’t be using this app…..

I’m fairly certain Apple will deliver something far superior to what they just posted. Since when has Apple (recently ie; post second coming of Steve) turned out a mediocre piece of software?

However most of my friends use MSN because they’re lazy so unless they choose to go AIM or iChat supports MSN I’ll be sticking with Fire. The whole toggle buddy window transparency is so cool!!!! I can see who’s online and it blends with my desktop =] Kicks but =]

• Posted: 07 May 2002 04:44 AM #20

I’m with Bryan and x on this one. (Although I know that’s x136’s gripe about those chat bubbles was corrected later on). 

The brushed metal look is getting a bit tired. Just plain Aqua would ahve been flashy enough…

What saddens me is that Apple decided yet again to add an “improvement” the Microsoft way: “Oh look, XP has MSN Messenger, why don’t we add something like that too?”.
    I’m all for easing the treshold to instant messaging for less experienced computer users, but iChat seems a bit of a me-too product.

I’ll try it out and see what it’s like, but I’m afraid that I’ll still stick with fIre, which allows me to chat across all the most-used protocols and doesn’t limit me to AIM.

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

• Posted: 07 May 2002 04:51 AM #21

Apple should make it the ultimate chat client

Supporting chatrooms in IRC, MSN, Yahoo, AOL, ICQ
    and instant messanging in all those protocols, and video and audio chat in all those protocols. If you think so, please submit to http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

• Posted: 07 May 2002 04:52 AM #22

The forum ate my topic line for the post above.
    Apple should make it the ultimate chat client.

• Posted: 07 May 2002 05:27 AM #23

[quote author=“Anonymous”]The forum ate my topic line for the post above.
    Apple should make it the ultimate chat client.

The forum eats all the topic lines.  rolleyes

Sorry, but I’m so not keen on this.  And all my friends use AIM, so Adium it is for me. Fire is good shiznit too. smile

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 07 May 2002 06:44 AM #24

It’s bad enough…

It’s bad enough that I have a cell phone and people can reach me anytime anywhere, but the last thing I want is another reason for people to bother me!  Why do people always need to be connected?!?!

BUT!  I think it’s an important app for Apple to bring out for the consumer market.

Hey, will it work with OpenDoc?  [j/k]

• Posted: 07 May 2002 08:09 AM #25

i would have voted "maybe"

i’ll definitely try iChat, but i’ll only continue using it if it supports a text-only mode and file transfer.  i currently use Adium (i haven’t had a need to interact with other services) and the thing i like the most about it is the tabbed interface.  this is perhaps the most important feature to me in a chat client.  i can’t stand having a dozen windows to manage when i’m chatting with folks.  adium rocks!  let’s see if iChat can surpass it!

Signature

“computers are useless.  they can only give you answers.”
    - pablo picasso

• Posted: 07 May 2002 08:12 AM #26

I know ...

Right now, if I am IMing someone whose connected to the interent, it’s through MSN Messenger.  Yes, I know I am going against the grain on this that it is a Microsoft product.  Most of my friends have PCs, and with that they have MSN.  Now will iChat work with MSN, that I doubt very much, but it would be nice if one IM would work with another IM flawlessly…  then I would definately goto iChat, but I don’t think that it is going to, so I really can’t justify it.

Signature

What the hell was that?

Posted: 07 May 2002 08:23 AM #27

Re: I know ...

[quote author=“NeverFade”]...but it would be nice if one IM would work with another IM flawlessly…

If you’re using OS X, try using Fire for chat.  You can dump MSN if you like the Fire interface.  It can handle similtaneous connections to AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, IRC, MSN and Jabber IM.  Best of all, it’s freeware.  :grin:

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

• Posted: 07 May 2002 08:24 AM #28

Oh boy do we really need this?

Well I am sure it will be worthwhile for most people but here is my beef. I teach in a college computer lab situation and it is always a problem with students doing their instant messaging instead of listening.

We solve the problem by removing AIM in netscape. Now what will we do when it is built into the system?

Posted: 07 May 2002 08:42 AM #29

Re: Oh boy do we really need this?

[quote author=“Anonymous”]We solve the problem by removing AIM in netscape. Now what will we do when it is built into the system?

The more I think about this, the more I would be surprised if Apple didn’t provide for a way to turn iChat off (remember that we are al just speculating at this point grin ).  In fact, it was this education comment from our anonymous poster that makes me think this even stronger.  With education being so important to Apple, there is no way they are going to let something like iChat interfere with the Mac’s role in education.

Which in itself reassure me with the idea that it is doubtful that Apple wouldn’t give all of us a mechanism for turning iChat off.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 07 May 2002 10:11 AM #30

iChat, iWhy?

I guess I’m just a cantankerous old fart,  :wink:  but I just don’t “get” this whole instant messaging thing.  I mean, you still have to be on line for it to work, which is fine if you have a dsl type service, but on dial-up it strikes me as a huge exercise in frustration.

It really won’t make me more or less likely to buy OS X.  If it was part of the offerings, I’d probably turn it off, anyway.  I don’t need to give my 11 year old another excuse to tie up the phone line!  smile