Avid Technology

• Posted: 11 July 2002 09:58 PM

I’ve often thought Avid Technology would make an interesting acquisition for Apple. In the past few weeks Avid has announced major product updates and continues to agressively push its products.

The company has a current market cap of about $215 million. Perhaps Avid’s large exposure in the Windows market might make the company less attractive to Apple, but IMHO Avid’s products would make make an interesting fit as Apple strives to exapnd sales in the pro digital video and audio markets.

I would think it would cost Apple at least as much as Avid would cost to to develop hardware and software products to compete with Avid in its specialty markets.

Posted: 12 July 2002 01:08 AM #1

That is an interesting idea, DT.  If Avid was purchased by Apple, assuming that the company pulled its Windows offering as per its recent modus operandi, that would be a HUGE hit on the Windows editing world.  It might also result in a lawsuit from Avid’s customers, but that’s just nit-picking.

The thing is that Apple has been working hard to make the *Mac* an editing station, while Avid seems to focus on dedicated hardware solutions.  Please note that I am not an expert on Avid.  I am not sure if it makes sense for Apple to acquire a company that makes hardware/software solutions in that there is little synergy.

I am very interested in hearing the thoughts of others, especially those more kknowledgable than myself, on this issue.  grin

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 12 July 2002 07:11 AM #2

I have to agree with Bryan.  I don’t believe that Apple would seriously consider purchasing Avid because they are so grounded in their own hardware/software solutions.  In addition, the recent acquisitions of Apple indicate that Steve & Co. are gearing up for an all-out assault on Avid’s core market.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 12 July 2002 09:44 AM #3

[quote author=“Brad Smith”]I have to agree with Bryan.  I don’t believe that Apple would seriously consider purchasing Avid because they are so grounded in their own hardware/software solutions.  In addition, the recent acquisitions of Apple indicate that Steve & Co. are gearing up for an all-out assault on Avid’s core market.

Brad

It does appear that Apple is planning for an all out assault on Avid’s market. I’d like to add a disclaimer to my original post. I do not have any information which would lead me to believe that Apple is in any way interested in Avid.

What promoted this thread is what Brad poiints out. It looks like Apple is moving in the direction of providing solutions for digital pros that will compete with or supplant products now offered by Avid.

Would it save time and/or money for Apple with regard to establishing dominance in certain strategic markets if Apple were to acquire Avid while Apple prepares new products for a major assalut on Avid’s core markets?

• Posted: 27 September 2002 10:21 PM #4

As of today Avid is trading in the middle of its 52-week range, closing the week’s trading at $10.07 per share. The company seems to be holding steady without much growth in sales.

• Posted: 15 October 2002 10:32 AM #5

AVID

It seems to me Microsoft has already looted AVID.  They’re too dependent on proprietary hardware solutions while “software only” solutions are becoming more and more realistic at higher and higher levels….Panasonic and Apple are preparing FireWire 24P and HD solutions,... before we even get to 1394b.

The one thing AVID has going for it is the large number of established users.  The thing is, it seems most new editors are learning FCP and in truth, the switch from one NLE to another isn’t that tough.  AVID is losing loads of money so it’s kind of like buying SGI to get MAYA and getting dragged down by the hardware.

Why buy a ten course meal when you only want a Shake?

Posted: 16 October 2002 07:12 PM #6

Well said, Guest.

Please consider registering here.  We’d definitely enjoy having your voice heard.  grin

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.