AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:15 AM #16

where has it been discussed?

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:18 AM #17

lumi - 10 December 2008 02:10 PM

The reason we’re down—this has been out and discussed elsewhere for more than two hours:

Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL): Morgan Stanley negative on the stock
    Morgan Stanley is out negative on Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) saying they see near-term downside to AAPL shares in light of weaker demand, especially for the iPhone where expectations remain high. They highlight three surprising data points from their survey of 2,500 US consumers:
    . . .
    Notablecalls: AAPL stock is going to get whacked on this. I would not be surprised to see a 5pt downside move today. Note that MSCO’s new price tgt for AAPL is $95.

This makes more sense for the drop. In any case, why is anyone still listening to the wisdom of any of the “investment” banks after they needed a bailout due to poor decision making?

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:21 AM #18

Play Ultimate - 10 December 2008 02:18 PM

In any case, why is anyone still listening to the wisdom of any of the “investment” banks after they needed a bailout due to poor decision making?

Because they are the ones still holding the bull-horn.
    And, in fairness, they have more resources than a bunch of amateurs on a public forum to gauge the current demand. They could do a much better job than us?but they don’t.

EDIT: as the graph shows, Morgan Stanly got the revenues figure quite close, but still couldn’t get close by a mile to the actual EPS.

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 10:30 AM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:22 AM #19

The new P/E is 3?! LOL. Man, talk about risk averse.

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:23 AM #20

I just heard about the MS price target cut on AAPL. Lumi beat me to the post. Should have known there would be some shenanigans once we closed over $100. Let’s see if the 94 level holds up. With a target of $95, seems clear someone wants this stock kept under $100.

• Posted: 10 December 2008 10:29 AM #21

mike_b - 10 December 2008 02:15 PM

where has it been discussed?

Here

Signature

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. -Albert Einstein | Think Different

• Posted: 10 December 2008 10:33 AM #22

It looks like a rotation out of tech and into financials is going on.

• Posted: 10 December 2008 10:34 AM #23

Hmm - investment advice from Morgan Stanley! Interesting! Reminds on someone that just got foreclosed on their house but gives real estate advice to the neighbors!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:39 AM #24

So far, yesterday’s LOD in the bottom 97’s is holding up. also Cramar mentioned this as a crucial gap filling support. Unless that just applied to yesterday’s intraday chart action.

I mentioned $94 earlier, looking back to Friday’s closing price for support. It would also show, IMO FWIW, that the street is not putting that much “stock” in MS’s price target of $95.

• Posted: 10 December 2008 10:41 AM #25

kiwitrader - 10 December 2008 01:48 PM

Here’s the news item on GOOG Android I couldn’t post earlier:

Apple Lower on Increasing Pre-Bell Volume - Some Mobile Phone Makers Back Google’s Android

07:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, 12/10/2008 (MidnightTrader)—Apple (AAPL) shares are under moderate downside pressure in today’s pre-market following reports that mobile phone makers including Sony (SNE), Vodafone (VOD) and ARM Holdings (ARMH) have joined the Open Handset Alliance - a move that supports the Android mobile device platform developed by Google (GOOG). Android competes with Apple’s iPhone 3G.

Apple’s Walmart Deal Will Effectively Kill Google’s Android

Based on the rumor of the 4G $99 model, which may never exist.

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:42 AM #26

early days kiwi trader.

my gut still tells me that this rolling story of the auto bailout has sustained optimism; once the story is concluded and we are still in the shit what good news will be in the offing?

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:46 AM #27

Is Huberty still spouting rubbish at Morgan Stanley?

Also, is this the first time a major firm has posted a price target for AAPL below the current market price, at least during this autumn crash?  To my mind, the fact that the target is below the market price would be difficult to ignore—if it were anyone but Huberty.

After whingeing about all the missed buying opportunities these past few days, I think I may have to skip this morning’s opening dip.  Besides the Morgan Stanley balderdash, I am also wary that the overall market may cede the rally, now that the Detroit bailout has been approved.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

• Posted: 10 December 2008 10:46 AM #28

Rising like Lazarus…

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:47 AM #29

willrob - 10 December 2008 02:41 PM

Apple’s Walmart Deal Will Effectively Kill Google’s Android
    Based on the rumor of the 4G $99 model, which may never exist.

Far too early to make such predictions.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 10 December 2008 10:48 AM #30

mike_b - 10 December 2008 02:42 PM

early days kiwi trader.

my gut still tells me that this rolling story of the auto bailout has sustained optimism; once the story is concluded and we are still in the shit what good news will be in the offing?

We will rely on Santa Clause’s slow and steady hand for about another week and a half. Then possibly this Yhoo nonesense, any continued upwards revisions to previous housing numbers, and any “suprise” retail numbers to the positive going into Xmas.

Meanwhile, S&P having trouble getting back through 900 which probably will not happen until the $15B bailout is a certainty. If they keep eff-ing around with this, it will push us further and further away.

EDIT: IOW, tape Richard Shelby’s (ironic name!) mouth shut!

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 10:51 AM by kiwitrader ]